Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How "mixed-mode to Native-mode" change will affect my environment??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITProfessional

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2001
US
Hi,
I want to convert my mixed-mode domain model to native-mode. But first of all i will provide you what I have in my environment to get an idea what other applications might be effected by this change?
====
I am running windows 2k domain model. We migrated from windows NT4.0. At that time we had few NT BDC and win98 clients, so I kept my domain at mixed mode. Later I removed all the NT BDCs.
Now currently we have two Win 2k DCs. Both are win2k ADV SRV. One db server and one web server. All are windows 2k. One of the DC is also running EXG 2k (unfortunately, as for EXG I should demote to member server). EXG is in native mode. All servers had SP4 and EXG has SP3.
Now my question is if I want to change windows 2k from mixed-mode to native-mode then:
1. How EXG 2k (which is already in Native mode) will be effected? What pre-change and post-change measures should I take to avoid any interuption in production.
2. How my web-server is effected? It is hosting webiste which is linked to DB server? What pre-change and post-change measures should I take to avoid any interuption in production.
3. How my DB server is effected? again same question:
Mostly I am concerned about the EXG.
Note: All servers are in production environment.
thanks for your help in advanced...

native mode will NOT speak with NT BDC's. it will speak with anything participating in your AD model. if it holds a domain role it will have to be 2k, if its just a member server it will work ok.
good luck
AJ

Yes,I understand
But My main question is about Exchange server. It is on one of the DC and it is in Native mode.
Now If change my windows 2000 mix-mode to native mode, hwo will it effect my Exchange server

I don't see how it would affect Exchange but I'm not an Exchange expert.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+, Security+

thanks Quell for your reply.
But still i am not getting the answer i am looking for.
See I am also not sure who can give a right answer. As it deals with both EXG and Windows modes. I have read both arlicles, one says about EXG modes. there is another artilce on microsoft which deals with Windows domain mode.
My question is related to both. I need to find out exactly,
"how the change in windows domain mode (from mix-mode to native-mode) will affect my EXG server (which is already at native mode and running on one of the DCs)?"
i hope you understand my Question.
thanks,

It won't affect your Exchange server at all. We switch from Mixed Mode to Native mode on both 2000 Servers and Exchange 2000 a few months ago.

I'd read an article on MicroSoft's web page to see what switching Win2k Server to native mode does, if you want, (basically turns off some sort of emulation to allow communication with NT servers...) Why switch to Native mode? I have no idea - the boss had it switched when I wasn't looking. I'm sure its for a performance improvement.

Bad thing is now i'm putting in some extra hours this week/weekend to get mail from an NT box with 5.5. I figured out the best way to do it, if you only have 10 users. Just *FORGET* everything MicroSoft suggests doing. Export the mail to PST's, then take your handy dandy Tungsten T3 (that comes with chapura for the exchange transfer capability.. works with 5.5 and exchange 2000), and sync it from one mail server to the other by taking it from a workstation logged into the NT w/ 5.5server, and then take to another workstation connected to your 2000 network with exchange 2000 and sync everything over there.. Voila... no need to upgrade your server and exchange to 2000 and risk problems.

My two cents,

Jason Michael

We don't push cross posting, but have you posted anything on the Exchange 2000 forum?
forum858
This forum is for Windows 2000 server, but most of your concerns seem to be with the Exchange server. Just a thought. (I only bring it up as I don't think you'll find many Exchange pro's in this forum. You may find some, but the majority deal with W2K.) Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back