Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How project notes changes in a Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendas

MIS
Apr 20, 2001
US
I am switching from VB to C#. In VB if I made changes to a library, I just hit the build in the Library, then hit the build in the project and they were in sync with each other.

It seems that with C# this is not the case, I ended up deleting the library dll out of the project then readding the reference for the two to be in sync.

Is there an easier way in C#?

if both projects are referenced in 1 solution and project A depends on project B the build (shift+ctrl+b) works.

if the build fail the reason(s) are listed in the Error List view (ctrl+e)

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190

Thanks, but the library is seprate from the project as the library will be referenced by many projects.

Also the build is successful. It has 0 errors, 0 warnings and 0 messages.

I tried building both the project & library 3 or 4 times, I then logged out of both & back in.. I finally gave up and deleted the library reference and re-referenced it. This was the only thing that picked up the change.

OK that's a little different. if you have an isolated project and you compile to binary. then reference that binary in another project (copying the binary to the new project) then yes you need to overwrite the compiled binary referenced in the new project.

the current project has no concept of when the referenced binary changes so you need to provide the new one. But this is not language specific this is a behavior of the IDE.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190

Thanks,

Well I am glad when I created the library in VB my IDE didn't know that. I spent months developing two libraries by coding a little in the library, then testing it in the project then fixing or coding more in the library. It would have been a real pain if the builds of the two project didn't put them into sync again.

But now it's just minor fixes to the converted Libraries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back