Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How OWB Manages SLOWLY Changing Dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.

prosix

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
US
I have a table which I have to maintain as SLOWLY changing dimension. That table has 20 columns and 10 columns I need to match before inserting a new row. I was trying to use OWB mapping to do that, but when one of the column has got null values then it inserts a new row even though column was having null earlier. What should I configure to avoid these null value comparison in OWB mapping.

Please give some thought.

TIA

Prosix

I'm not sure what OWB is or what features it supports, but if possible, I would recommend replacing nulls with some known, but not normally available value before you load them to your dimension table (e.g. "?" or "N/A").

You have to be very careful when testing for nulls. I'd bet that's what's messing up OWB. Nulls also generally mess up comparisons and canculations.

A missing value (null) may have several meanings based on the data. For example, a missing SalesRep ID may mean "Error!" for some fact rows but it might mean "Not Applicable" for other facts.

I know it didn't answer your question, but hopefully it helped. Good luck.

Matt :)

MathOh
I am agree with you with few possibilites that data is character or number then I can easily put Space(' ') or "No value" or 'Unknown' or '0'. but I have some date field which have null values and these are valid values like Person's Termination dates or Probation End dates, which I don't want to insert a value like '31-dec-4712' or '01-jan-1800'.

So the problem is how do I resolve Nulls in date field.

I appreciate what you suggested for char & nums.

Any Idea further.
TIA.

Hi TIA,
Actually, I do have a suggestion for dates and nulls, but it's going to sound funny. Use characters.

As you have pointed out, putting dummy dates into a date field is problematical. You typically can't put in "0" (which is illegal) and dates like 31-dec-4712 have their own unique set of problems ("You were hired when!?")

The trick here is to have TWO fields, one is the regular date field (which might be null)and the other is a character version of the date (e.g. "2002-01-01"). This way, you can load any value you want into the "CharDate" field, like "?" or "N/A". You only use the "real" date column when you want to perform date manipulation.

BTW, I recommend using the ISO standard format of YYYY-MM-DD in the character field. All DB vendors (and different countries) want to use their own version (e.g. dd-mmm-yyyy) and it always leads to confusion sooner or later.

Try it and see how that works for you.
Matt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back