Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How one day can make a mess of you week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazzert

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
GB
Today was a bit of a toil.

Installing some software on the server that would be accessed by clients via a mapped drive. Everything seemed to go correctly, Win 2000 client no problem, Win XP drive was not available (same user). Same group policy is being applied to all machines on the domain and user is in same OU for all machines. I can't explain this one. XP firewall ain't being used before you ask. Put software folder in a drive already mapped and it works OK!

Then science teacher arrives with laptop and says 'might have a problem as I left it near a strong magnet'. Well as it turned out it appeared that it was working correctly. Apart from one thing that might not even be related. Go to change the wallpaper and the options are greyed out. Bit strange this as the users are admins for the machine. So I logged in as domain admin and the options were still greyed out. Logged in as admin for the machine and options are OK.

As it was 16.00 on Friday defered problem to Monday and went home for a glass of wine or two

Sounds to me like the root of your troubles is group policy related.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

If the machine logs into the domain, check which container the computer account is in. When the machine is in a USER account for instance, you might have all sorts of strange pollicies being enforced.

Do a command prompt and type gpupdate on the machine.
Reboot and try again.

Hope it helps.

Good luck

Re: the laptop issue

Do you deploy a wallpaper by group policy? If so the options will be greyed out when you log into domain but will be available again if you log on to local machine with admin account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back