Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How often should a servers be restarted

Status
Not open for further replies.

walto

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
GB
How often should you restart your servers for them to continue running smoothly?

(ie general housekeeping etc).

look forward to your responce

Thanks

hi,
my customers with NT4 server (well patched) as PDC,BDC without other programs installed never restart servers.

If you have printer server or file server, you can try to
reboot them weekly.

If you have strange programs or Terminal Server or other,
I suggest reboot them dayly

bye

We reboot once a year.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

once a year : I cannot don't say you this.

In a congress about love the speaker ask to people:

"Who does make love 1 once a week ? "
some people asnwer they do

"Who does make love 1 once a month ? "
less people confirm

"Who does make love 1 once a year ? "
Just a man says: "I do", and he was very happy

The speaker:
"Why are you so happy ?"

The man:
"becouse it is today !!! "

have a good job

Cheers guys

That's about as crystal as mud.

Thanks

I never let our servers go more than a week without a reboot as NT is well known for leaking memory.

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

Reliable builds need less reboots.

Our reliable builds, running applications, run for 4-5 months at a time without reboots.

Our unreliable builds, running services such as backups, need reboots more frequently.

Good Luck

datadan's point about reliable builds is a good one. You really just need to go by your own experience with your servers.

We have SQL running on an NT4 server that has a very light load. I rebooted it last week after about 18 months of trouble free operation.

We have a Domino Mail server on an NT4 box that gets rebooted maybe once a year.

We have several Domino web severs running on NT4 and Win2K boxes that get rebooted 3 or 4 times a month. These are usually caused by some problem with the Domino and MQSeries applications however. No telling how long they would run without those errors.

We do not schedule reboots just for the sake of rebooting.

First post.

I try to reboot weekly since I notice a degration in network performance. This is a Backoffice 4.5 Server running a full gambit of software: backup, virus checking, etc.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back