Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How often do you reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iolair

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
Admins,
How often you do you reboot your Windows servers? I try to reboot once a week here, and it seems to work fine.

Iolair MacWalter

I dont reboot, only when there is a problem or after windows update.

regards Lars

Network admin for worldwide freight forwarders company.
mcp mcsa\: Messaging mcse -2003

Thanks, Lars

Iolair MacWalter

Same here, when there is an issue (not that often) or we apply the windows update patches.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

The only server I reboot regularly is my citrix server other than that only when needed.

dito!!!

The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.

Thanks for all your feedback. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

Iolair MacWalter

Our standing policy was Quarterly unless a patch required it; which we do monthly. Lately it's been every month that we reboot though...even though no one (read: staff) seems to have a good reason why; management now seems to expect it..

Just a warning, but I patched my servers last week. On reboot one of them didnt! It claimed msgina.dll was corrupted & simply would not boot the OS until I restored the file. After getting it to boot it had corrupted asp.net & the input locale, which we had to reghack to repair. Even now there are strange entries appearing the event log..

Ironically I dont even know which patch it was as we roll them out with WSUS! I have 3 other servers waiting to be rebooted, but I fear the worst if I do!!

You should reboot only as needed.

However, some application may not release resources (PTEs, nonpaged or paged pool, working set or private set memory, etc...,etc...)This is known as leaking....

Tivoli and Domino server are two apps I know of that will constantly leak working or private set memory. When this memory usage gets too high, your server will slow and may dump. (Tivoli's documentation used to actually say that this is normal. I don't know if that is still the case)

I encourage admins to use perfmon every so often to see if any apps are leaking. Then you can be on top of problems that may occur.

Other than that, no reboots without a cause.

Microsoft Certified Nut.

Still, rebooting isn't the solution; it's a workaround. The solution is to contact the vendor of the leaky application and have them fix the problem they created. If they can't or won't, find another vendor that will.

You are absolutely correct xmsre. If you have a leaking app, the best thing to do is to get a dump of that app and have the vendor or MS look at it. When you get a dump with a perfmon log, you can track down the thread stack that is causing the leak... :)

Microsoft Certified Nut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back