Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How obtain accurate total of hours estimated of all subtasks that are a certain type? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pcumming

IS-IT--Management
Jun 19, 2005
US
How obtain accurate total of hours estimated of all subtasks that are a certain type?

We have a project plan and of course there are many tasks with subtasks underneath each task

Example:
Task Estimated Work Hours Actual Work Hours Task type

Overall Project

Data entry screen 32 14
Define Requirements 8 5 Requirement
Write Specification 8 6 Spec
Perform Coding 8 3 Coding
Conduct Testing 8 0 Testing

+Reporting 40 24
Define Requirements 16 15 Requirement
Write Specification 8 6 Spec
Perform Coding 8 3 Coding
Conduct Testing 8 0 Testing

Question: When we perform a filter on the TASK TYPE column and select "Spec" WE STILL have the same total of hours (32,24 respectively) at the task level and even at a roll-up project level..
We want to determine how many hours total are "Spec" related for these 2 tasks.

Any way to do this without exporting it to Excel or without adding up the columns manually that have the word "Spec" in that column?

Thank you
Peter

When I did a group by Text1 which is the Phase Type field it did sum up the type but lost the task name. I would like the type summed up by each task. Not sure how to do this. Apologize for my newbie question. Here is what happened....
I put the file at
So I am looking to show the total hours for the type "spec" by each task with the task name listed. I have a 700 line project plan.
Thanks
Peter

Thank you so much, it worked!!
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back