Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much RAM should one have for a 270GB E2k Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwichman

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
This is probably an overly simplified question since i don't have a lot of info beyond this.. But Besides obviously having enough drive space to hold it, whats the rule of thumb as to how much memory one should have for such a server? Or are there any?

Ditto cpu.. single/dual/quad? What factors influence such a decision?

Thanks

1Gb
If you add more to an exchange server you have to mess about in the registry.
here is an MS quote
"Exchange 2000 Server on a Windows 2000 Server-Based Computer
The 2GB virtual memory address limit for User mode programs can contribute to several issues in Exchange 2000 Server when you have more than 1 GB of physical memory installed in your computer.

Exchange 2000 Server calculates the memory that is allocated to database buffers based on the amount of physical memory. Physical memory above 1 GB can cause a disproportionate amount of the 2 GB of virtual memory to be allocated to database buffers. This may cause virtual memory fragmentation problems, performance issues, or "out of memory" issues.

To work around this issue, use one or more of the following methods:
Reduce the Jet DBA Size"

see:
---------------------------------------
save a life - visit:

are you saying that's how much disk space you have, or that's how much space your databases are actually consuming? I hope it's not the latter on a single server...but in any case, the things you're asking about are generally ruled by user load. I have found that E2K performs best with at least 2GB ram and dual processors. Of course, the more you can get, the better...

brontosaurus -
that's interesting, I have never put more than 1gb in my exchange servers because of the MS advice.
Did you have any of the mentioned problems ?
Nick

---------------------------------------
save a life - visit:

This is really interesting. My exchange server is on my file and print box. I had it designated as its own box. Company at last minute decided on a program needing sql so the exchange box became an sql box. Figured with only 35 users that that would not be a problem and it has not been for better part of a year. But server does have 1,256 Meg of ram and I am just getting ready to add 1 gig more. The only memory related issue was with my veritas Backup exec 8.6 Open file option module. I kept getting memory problems preventing me from running it and just washed on that option. Any thoughts on this. The gig memory being added was to try and get the open file option running. I do have BExec 9.0 now too.

Michael

hi tekistry, I've read that article a couple of times in the past and even tried the /3GB switch to see if it made much of a difference, which it didn't. I've actually tried E2K with 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB and never experienced any problems with virtual memory addressing. Have you ever had any problems like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back