Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much bandwidth is enough for 1000 customers at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intern

Vendor
Jul 13, 1999
CA
Visit site
If I have an ecommerce site using site server commerce edition 3.0 with microsoft SQL 6.5.&nbsp;&nbsp;What is the recommend Bandwidth and Mhz that will be needed to hold this amount of traffic?<br>

I hate to be trite, but there's generally only one answer to a bandwidth question (they're like memory questions in this regard):&nbsp;&nbsp;As much as you can reasonably afford and then consider a little bit more.

I have to agree.&nbsp;&nbsp;The only thing I can recommend is the faster, more RAM, bandwidth, and fastest Hard Drives on the market.<br><br>Or go with a multiple server configuration.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've found that often times that several smaller servers are better than a single unit.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;I can't really judge the exact specs as I deal exclusivly with Unix, FreeBSD, when it comes to web servers and not NT.&nbsp;&nbsp;I havn't read&nbsp;&nbsp;up on the load specs of Microsoft SQL and just NT in general.

bandwidth depends on the normal & peak usage. then what is the actual access or usage of the data server. pls give me more details like the average access or down load in bits or bytes per day or per hour, your present connection. also the percentage the user accessing database. sometimes keeping the web and database servers separate yield very high throughput with your current bandwidth. also one should look into the kind of firewall , proxy, network card, promiscous mode of the above which contribute for the latency in your network. latency is a factor when you consider bandwidth [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back