Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much access does a 3rd party Exchange host have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAOx

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2006
US
Hello all, our company has outsourced email hosting to a company thats running an Exchange 2003 server for us. How much access do they really have to all of our emails (i.e. is there any encryption at all in those emails or is it all in the open?). The reason I ask is because we chose to buy an Exchange host but are getting rid of our BES server and will just use regular PUSH/PULL sync with Exchange but I understand that this means there will be no email encryption because BBs cant decrypt emails (or something to that effect).

Item #0. Is the Exchange server a member of your domain? If not, how much functionality are you able to utilize?

Item #1. If your Exchange server is being hosted by a third party, they obviously have admin rights to Exchange. Therefore, they have access to all your mailboxes. If the firm is the least bit reputable (and wants to stay in business) they won't go prying without direction from your corporate legal department. None of the emails will be encrypted unless you have provided your users with certificates and they've used them to encrypt their messages. Since you have an internet connection that is fast enough to handle the traffic to the external server, I would strongly recommend bringing the server in-house - and install Symantec Mail Security if it doesn't have it already. If you don't know how to manage Exchange 2003, get your employer to send you to a class. Of course you'll have to add the server to your backup scheme.

Item#2. Blackberries don't have the native ability to open signed or encrypted messages, but you can get a module that will give them the ability to do so. If you were to switch to something along the lines of a Sony Trio, you wouldn't need a BES server at all, as Exchange 2003 can communicate with them directly.

Very informative. Thank you for the information. I'll bring this up to management soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back