Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many times we abbreviate and then expand a little of that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramani

Programmer
Mar 15, 2001
AE
We often use superfluous language..

IT Technology - (Information Technology technology)
FD drive - (Floppy drive drive)
PDF format file - (Portable document format format file)
GIF file
DOS system
LIBOR rate - (London interbank offer rate rate)

and such words with tail expansions. May be others could add many more.

:)

I get your point, but:

I dont't think I've ever said "IT technology" or "PDF format file"

And I think we can let GIF go; the F stands for Format

As an aside, there's a wonderful polysyllabic word to describe situations such as these: pleonasm

<facetious>
Welcome to the Department of Redundency Department!

And I suppose "LIBOR rate" could also be a nonpleonastic construct. If the LIBOR were changing, "LIBOR rate" would describe how quickly rate of change, wouldn't it?
</facetious>

This is what happens, I think, when an abbreviation or acronym becomes a word in and of itself.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

What about:

ATM Machine (Automated Teller Machine Machine)
PIN Number (Personal Identification Number Number)

Susan
[sub]You have all the characteristics of a popular politician: a horrible voice, bad breeding, and a vulgar manner.[/sub]
[sup]Aristophanes, 424 B.C.[/sup]

[sup]Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.

I always used FD Drive as Floppy Disk Drive (but then i remember when the disks were floppy (and 8")

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Here are a few more:

ISBN number (International Standard Book Number)
UPC code (Universal Product Code)
AC current (Alternating Current)
HIV virus (Human Immunodeficiency Virus)
SPF factor (Sun Protection Factor)

Peace!! [americanflag] [peace] [americanflag]

Mike

Didn't get the answers that you wanted? Take a look at FAQ219-2884

As some insight into why we (or at least I) do this, I personally use the phrase "pdf format" regularly. I never give any thought to what "pdf" means when I'm saying it. I'm trying to specify which format I'm using, so I add the "pdf" to the phrase. For me, "format" is the more important word, so to leave it out would make the statement (slightly) less clear.

For instance:
I converted the Word document to pdf format.

vs.

I converted the Word document to pdf.

I personally prefer the first style, even though it is redundant and repetitive. ;-)

and I would say:

I converted the Word document to a pdf.

Leslie

Leslie's post highlights the real problem. These acronyms generally stand for a noun. Provided you use the abbreviation in the same way, you won't get the redundancy

"I tapped in my personal identification number and got my money from the automated teller machine"

"I tapped in my PIN and got my money from the ATM"

If you use the abbreviation as an adjective you need a (generally redundant) noun to apply it to

"I keep confusing my PIN number with my telephone number"

-- Chris Hunt

Agreed with KornGeek. I sometimes say "We can convert .doc format to .pdf format and vice versa". It is hard to keep proper English, isn't it?

Here's a few more:

HTML language - Hypertext Markup Language

SCSI interface - Small Computer System Interface

ABS system - Antilock Braking System

LCD display - Liquid Crystal Display

UPC code - Universal Product Code

Hoc nomen meum verum non est.

I hear "ASP page" constantly at work, when "ASP" (active server page) suffices.

A scholarly friend told me that the hoi in hoi poloi means 'the' so people who say the hoi poloi ( i.e. the the people/masses/whatever ) reveal themselves to be pretentious twits. I personally cannot confirm if this is trur though.

From
Hoi polloi is Greek for "the many."

Usage: Some argue that the definite article ("the") should not be used in front of "hoi polloi," as hoi means "the" in Greek. However, "the hoi polloi" has been used since the earliest recorded instances of the term in English, and it is considered correct by most authorities.

And from
Hoi polloi is Greek for “the common people,” but it is often misused to mean “the upper class” (does “hoi” make speakers think of “high” or "hoity-toity"?). Some urge that since “hoi” is the article “the hoi polloi” is redundant; but the general rule is that articles such as "the” and “a” in foreign language phrases cease to function as such in place names, brands, and catch phrases except for some of the most familiar ones in French and Spanish, where everyone recognizes “la"—for instance—as meaning “the.” “The El Nino” is redundant, but “the hoi polloi” is standard English.

Susan
Gramen artificiosum odi.

SF0751 and sleipnir214

Brilliant explanations - I shall enjoy lording it over Mr Kitto when he is next pontificating at me. Now if someone can just explain what was going on between Wittgenstein and Popper.....

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back