Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many routers for Frame Relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2002
US
To setup FR over serial I know you only need two routers that have serial connections. Set one up as DCE and the other as DTE. But a friend of mine said that to do "true" Frame Relay you need at least 3 routers.

I'm not sure what he means since I'm new to FR. Is he talking about routing the frame or am I missing something else? What's the minimum number of routers needed to actually do Frame Relay routing for a home lab for example?

What your friend means is that in order to have DLCIs, you need a frame switch. That is the function of the 3rd router. You turn it into a frame switch and now you can set up with real DLCIs and LMIs just like a real frame installation.

When you run two routers back to back, you cna use the frame encapsulation but you have to disable things like LMI.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

How do you configure the third router to act like a frame relay switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back