Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many Olap Servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2000
GB
I am setting seagate info on our network. One basic question:
How many Olap servers should I set up? Should I just stick to the one set up on the machine configured as the APS, or should I create other ones to spread the load. I have tried setting up another just as a test, but whenever I try to process a cube it comes back with a cube build failure!
Please help.

Steve

What is the specific error you're getting when trying to build the cube? How large is the actual dataset "behind" your cube and what format is it (SQLServer, Access, FoxPro...)? And how are you aggregating the cube? All these things have a big bearing on what goes on when a cube is being processed. You should only need one server all things being equal though.

SnowDude: You can have more than 1 OLAP server with Seagate Info but you MUST ensure that any machine other than that upon which you've installed an APS can be 'seen' by the APS. In this context 'seen' means that the OLAP Server is on the same network segment, has a fixed IP address and that it can be 'pinged' from the APS machine by both name and IP.

If you need any more you can post either here or in the Crystal Decisions General Forum or drop me a line David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Crystal Decisions Enterprise Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back