Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Many IP Endpoints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor5908

Programmer
Sep 14, 2005
US
We are trying to decide on whether to sell a customer an S8300 or a 406v2.
The customer whishes to utilize approx. 40 off-site IP -Phones.These are work from home people who will rely heavily on these units.
The S8300 clearly has robust IP resources(something like 1800 sockets possible).What provides the "voip engine" on IP Office?And does anyone out there have a feel for limits on IP endpoints for a 406v2.
I'm talking real-world expeience,not what the brochures sell you.
Can a 406v2 legitimately support 40 off-site IP phones simultaneously?
Thanks much-Vic

i have a customer with 3 main sites
i think they have about 15 remote sites with sometimes 1 or 2 phones but also some with 10 or more
in total they have about 180 ip phones right now
a 406v2 can have 190 ip phones
so 40 phones should not be the problem
your main problem is a good broadband connection to handle all the traffic
make sure that your network is set up right
i do not know if vpn remote phones is something for you ???
i don't have experience with that
if all your home workers will have a hardware vpn connection then you can use standard ip phones (whitout the vpn remote software)

remember, if all 40 of these home workers will be using ip phones off the 406v2, they will all be using the ip pipe for their connection. 40 simultaneous ip phones on active calls will use a bit of the pipe, so make sure you have enough pipe to meet peak demand for those home workers ip phones. this will be the same pretty much from the 406v2, or the s8300 for home remote workers. if you do not have the pipe to support it, qos, proper hardware, or software vpn and ability to set up and support these elements, you will have headaches with either solution.

figure out your peak bandwidth usage for your home workers ip phones, and make sure you exceed that with your available pipe for the ip phones. that does not include their needs for internet surfing etc.

with 40 remote users you are approximating 1.2MB bandwidth, plus VPN overhead, plus internet traffic.

This internet service would need to be seperate with some level of QoS provided by the carrier (preferably the same carrier for all location to avoid finger pointing).

Its much easier to do with ITSP, since they use SIP and have infrastructure in place for this type of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back