Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many copies of MS Access for multi-access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmwilliamson

Technical User
Aug 3, 2002
US
My church runs a charity and we are expanding operations to two registration sites for our clients. We will run one Access database backend that will be accessed by Access project front ends through a peer-to-peer network. I.e., two computers, one with the backend and frontend, and the other with only the front end. Do we need two MS Access licenses (as in running on two CPU's) or can we use one copy of Access to create the database and then distribute the frontend to the other computer? The difference is the $280 price of MS Access 2002 that our charity could productively use for other things. Thanks... John

I think 2 Access on 2 computers = 2 licences.
Microsoft doesn't know what is charity...

Maybe you can use an apache server (with PHP/ASP,etc.) in front that talks with 1 Access license.
Or you make directly a copy of Access for those swindler of microsoft.

Yeah, two licences are needed. One for the PC with frontend and backend, and one for the other computer with only the frontend. You'll need a copy of access on that PC too to display the frontend, or you can buy the developper edition ($$$) to make a stand-alone application. I don't think your church has that money (based on my own experiences...)

HTH

tom

Thanks... You are confirming my expectations. Another cool solution would be to put the data in MySQL, and 'access' it with a PHP scripted application. Score: $0 Microsoft; and perhaps a 'charitable' contribution to the open source .ORG's. Unfortunately, we probably have about the right level of technical skill to do it with the hand-holding that Access provides. Thanks again... best regards, John

Get a cheap used Access 97-2000 version on e-bay!

In the UK registered charity licensing costs are a lot cheaper then for normal users. Speak to your local supplier as they might be able to help you on this.

Alternatively produce a runtime version of the application as this doesnt require a licence

Thanks to all for your observations. I have since found the right person-in-the-know in our church automation office and learned that he purchases software under Microsoft's 'charity licensing program' at a substantial savings. Best regards, John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back