Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Many Conference Calls On MICS PRI 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveybc

Technical User
May 29, 2002
CA
I know the standard conference limites on a MICS are basically 3 way calling. Would someone know the limits on use with a PRI? Can you add more people in and how many? Thanks

the confrence call uses the same circuit in the ICS so you are still set at 3. If you need larger confrences there are two options with only one making sense.

you could buy a bridge from Confer (such as an 8 port bridge that uses 8 ports on the phone system) or you can use one of the commercial bridging services for around $.25 per conferee per minute (prices subject to change since This is an old bit of information)

----------------------------
'Rule 29', "The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less."
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

How about the BCM. Only 3 way calls as well?

If you need more than 3 people in a conf. call, then have one of the people your connected to use the conf. feature on their phone system to bring in more people. No matter what Norstar or BCM you have, the limit is always 3 phones on a conf. call unless you use extra equipement like the Conferenece bridge.

BCM 200/400 4.0 and BCM 50 3.0 allow ad-hoc conference. This increases the BCM 200/400 capacity to 40 and the BCM 50 capacity to 18. This may be one conference or many, (for example a BCM 50 may have a 10 party conference and a 8 party conference simultaneously).

On a CICS, or MICS with POTS, you can double that if you use 3 way calling on the CO's. It's a little complicated for the users, but it works.

What is Ad-Hoc and how does it work on a BCM50? Thanks

Ad Hoc is like an Add On conference.
The BCM50 allocates 18 resources for conferencing. You can keep adding to the conference until all of the resources are used.

They also now support "Meet Me" conferencing, which is similar to having a conference bridge.

-SD-

So is Ad Hoc a feature built into the BCM50, a keycode, or a perferal device that connects to the BCM? I have a client that would like to set up multiple conferences ( more than 3 way ). They use a Comdial system and the analog extension port connected won't even allow 3 way calling. They use the Polycom Soundstation 2 to dial into the local providers system and enter their code which cost them $. THey are looking for a new telephone system that will allow the Polycom to establish multiple party conferences on the fly. Since I deal with mostly Nortel I was trying to find a solution for them. BTW they have welcomed the thought of migrating to a PRI. Any thoughts! THanks

So using an analog extension port off the BCM50 r3.0 and a Polycom Soundstation you can establish a 18 party conference by using AD-Hoc? I'm assuming using a PRI would be better but would it work using POTs lines from the telco as well? I most certainly will read up on this in the manual. Thanks

You can use any set type you wish.
BCM50r3.0 supports the i2033 IP Conference phone too.
You can use any trunk types as well. Be aware that you will be limited on the amount of external conference paticpants you can add based on the number of trunks connnected to the BCM.

The conference ports are shared by all devices connected to the BCM until all 18 are used. So, you could have any mix/match of conferences happening.

Ad-Hoc conferencing
• provides a user interface model which is similar to the current F3 conference
• ensures no impact on the user’s feature button footprint (that is, no requirement exists for additional IC keys or for an additional feature key)
• provides the current three-party conferencing capabilities, allowing users the flexibility to have larger multi-party conferences
• supports up to 18 simultaneous participants on multiple conferences

Meet-Me Conferencing
Meet-Me Conferencing provides feature-rich, high density conferencing capabilities for BCM
users. Designed to provide a more sophisticated feature set for formal conference calls, Meet-Me
Conferencing allows parties to establish a teleconference by calling in to a specified bridge
number at an agreed on time. One party acts as the chairperson and has additional powers to start,
stop, secure and control the conference.
Conferences are initiated by calling in to the system on designated lines or to a specified directory
number. The service responds by prompting the caller for the conference ID and optional
pass-code. The caller then receives music-on-hold until the chairperson starts the conference. At
that point, a multi way voice conference is established with all parties in the conference.

-SD-

I was unable to do more than 2 calls on BCM 400 4.0 with Analog Port. Is there a feature code for NEW CALL soft key on digital & IP phones. I tried doing with digital set and parking call. Had to have customer use T7316E

So on a Polycom push Flash *807, dial 9 ( if that is the route or pool code ) make a second call. Dial code to connect first caller for 2 party conferece. Push flash *807 again, dial 9 and number to connect call, dial code for 3 party conference and so on up to 18 ( providing you had 18 lines or PSTN's )? Something like that!

THis is somewhat different news than PERRYPJ and bigcat919 provided earlier in this thread!

I always instruct my customers to set up the conference on a digital phone, park it, then pick it up on the polycom. It is much easier that way.

If you are using a Nortel Audio Conference Unit...."With the introduction of BCM4.0 and BCM50r2 and later releases, the BCM has had the ability to expand ad-hoc conferences beyond 3 parties, up to a total of 40 ports, depending on system used and resource loading. The Nortel Audio onferencing Unit (NACU), however, cannot create ad-hoc conferences of more than 3 parties." UNLESS you either use bluemr2's instructions or make the NACU a member of the conference.
Further..."For larger and more sophisticated conference calls, customers with the BCM50r3 may choose to use
Meet Me Conferencing. When using Meet Me Conferencing, the NACU are capable of participating in conferences of up to 18 participants and provide an ideal interface for allowing a roomful of people to join in a Meet Me Conference. However, to take full advantage of the powerful features delivered by Meet Me Conferencing, the use of a BCM display set is recommended for the conference chairperson. The use of a display phone, such as the T7316e enables the conference chair to access powerful, productivity enhancing features, such as viewing a list of conference participants,
selectively muting and even ejecting users."

DueE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back