Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many CAL's do I need? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb2IT

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2008
US
Hello to all, I currently have 3 servers, 2 of them are domain controllers (WIn2K3) and another WIn2K file server (the domain controllers have some shares as well). I have 50 computers in my Domain Network, I have 75 users
(they share computers), there is never the need for more than 50 users to be logged into the network at the same time. My question is this: Do I need to purchase 150 CAL's and distribute them as 50 for each server?? (50 CAL's for DC1, 50 CAL's for DC2 and 50 CAL's for the Win2K server)

Thanks! I guess my best bet is to get 50 device cal's.

Argh...no more per server? Just my luck.

Still, I stand by my advice to obtain 75 user CAL's, reason being is you're far more likely to get another device than another user, which means if you get 50 device CAL's and obtain another PC, you have to go back and get another device CAL to stay legal. Whereas if you get 75 user CAL's you're still covered.

YMMV.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

So I did read the MS Licensing correctly. 50 Device CAL's would be sufficient for all servers.

That is great, I thought originally that I would have to get 50 cal's for each server for a total of 150!! that is alot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back