Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many BCM50's can be put on a single network

Status
Not open for further replies.

AItelecom

Vendor
Nov 15, 2005
US
I have a customer with a large fiber network that wants to deploy VoIP phones off of there PBX with out upgrading there switch to Succession or CS1000, I have been looking for a inexpensive way to provide that and thought of the BCM50, but I believe it is limited to 32 IP phones.

I like the new operating system and do not want to consider the BCM200 or 400 until they decide to upgrade the OS on them. The initial install will only be 20 IP phones but what will they be able to do after that?

My question is how many BCM50’s can I put on the same fiber network?

Thanks in advance……..

As many as you have keycodes for and ITG cards in PBX.

I have an Option 11C with 60 BCM's with 4 VOIP trunks to each location.

Like Ace says. BCM 4.0 on the 200/400 with Linux OS is due out first quarter 06.

I can't wait to get my hands on one so I can play with it.

ACE

What kind of BCM's are they, Do you have multiple BCM 50’s?

The limitation is 32 IP phones on the BCM50 so I would rather put another 50 on the network instead of a 200 or 400 until they change the OS….

I don't have any BCM 50's now as the 1 we did have, had so many problems we sent it back to the vendor. We only use BCM 1000, 200 and 400.

Will if reading this forum is any indictication of how BAD the BCM 50 is, than I'm glad I stayed with the others.

Your the only one providing feed back on the
BCM50, what are you saying??

From what I understand there is a lot of problems with the BCM200's and the 400's because of constant patch's and OS glitch’s, and security is that true?

I have also heard that the new OS on the BCM50 is suppose to be trouble free.... From your comments I guess that is not true...

I've put a handful of BCM 50's in. No major issues, except with some analog trunk problems in the main cabinet, and that was resolved with a patch.

The OS on the 50 so far is trouble free from my experience - haven't noticed any OS related issues.

There are four patches released for the BCM 50 so far, so it's not a "patch free" system. Patches are much quicker to apply and don't always need a reboot, so thats refreshing.

Also, keep in mind that you will always see negativity in a public forum such as this. I've never seen anybody post saying "This system is great, I haven't touched it in six months". There are always glitches in everybodys products. True, there are a lot of patches for the BCM, but you need to consider that not every patch applies to every site. There's no sense applying IPSEC and Call Center patches to a system that doesn't utilize those features.

That being said, I'd be more inclined to put in a BCM 400 than multiple BCM 50's. It would be easier for you to manage.

Just my two cents for Tuesday. Flame on. : )

I put one system in a year ago and haven't HAD to touch it. No Kidding!

However, I would rather patch a system to current applying even seemingly un-needed patches than miss one and find out that either the customer wants to now use the functionality, or that there is a patch dependency that I missed.

My 2 cents Canadian.

Kthxbye!

It seems to me that since Nortel has made the BCM's more complicated compared to the MISC/CICS (and even the older 8X24 and 6X16), they have had to continuely create patches and updates for them to keep them working in a reliable manner.

I guess it's true that the more complicated you make something
the more it will go wrong. Long gone are the days when you installed a KSU and didn't have to go back to that customer (unless they had line carrier problems).

It's true that the new systems can do more, but why can't they make the BCM's reliable?

My 2 cents worth.

I hate conceited people that think they are a good as me!!!

I have over 60 BCM's and from 1000 2.5 FP1 to new BCM 200 3.7. for the most part they work very well. Nortel has problems with the motherboards CAP's going bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back