Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How long should 37GB take to backup? 16 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashX1

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2001
US
It takes me 16 hours to backup 37GB of data on a NT4 File Server. Is this normal?

I have two DLT 7000 80GB Tape Capacity running on a Dell Server which has mirrored 9GB drives, 512MB Ram, PIII 9??.

I have one of my drives set to backup this server and it takes 16 hours to backup 37GB of data. Is this normal? Can I speed this up?

Thanks,
Mike
:-D

I forgot to mention I am running Veritas 8.5 fully licensed on everything.

Is your DLT running on SCSI 1, 2, or 3? Do you use Agent Accelerator?

Are you pulling across the network or just local? If local, how have you got 37GB on mirrored 9GB?

Are you including verify time in the 16 hours or just backup and not verify?

I back up across the network 130GB in just over 6 hours. Verify takes the same amount of time. I would say you could speed it up...

This is being pulled across the same network from several different servers. All are NT 4.0. I am using agents for all of my SQL 7 Servers and My Exchange Server. I have the OFO for my fileserver. The drives are ADIC Fastor DLT 7000. I am not sure which scsi, but we just bought them so I guess they are probably Scsi 3. I am running verify and including verify time because it is part of the total time it takes my drives to finish the current job to move on to the next.

Thanks for replying and I look forward to your input.

Try doing an immediate backup of local data straight to tape. This will give you a benchmark speed. Try to do it when the server is idle.

Have a look at the SCSI cables used and see which SCSI they are.

Just out of curiosity,
1) what is the bandwidth of your network,
2) what other processes are running on the server at the time of backup,
3) how many users are running on the network while you are backing up?

James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

I am running a 100MB network.
The scsi connector is 68 pin.

When I run a backup of the local drive it takes 18 minutes for 2.6GB.

If I run a backup on my machine which has no agents just to try something new over the network it takes 2 hours for 5.9 GB.

During my nightly backup no one is on the network. There should be nearly no traffic, but keep in mind we have about 50 people on a 100mb network. I am starting to think it must be network though.

What other processes are running on your server? We discovered that one of our nightly processes was pegging our CPU usage at 100%, any other process trying to run at the time would crawl.
James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

Do you have anti-virus on the server? Is there a scheduled virus scan running at the same time, or an upgrade? Also, we've had a problem with McAfee Netshield in the past which randomly hogged 100% CPU on the server, and the only way to fix was a reboot... There is a fix for this available from McAfee/Microsoft if this is the problem...

My backup server is dedicated. On the network I do run a virus scan everynight at midnight. I have turned it off for tonight to see if this will help. I am using Trend Micro's Office Scan for my desktops.

Right now it is still backing up from last night and the CPU is at 8% utilization. Nothing else is running under the task manager.

I just ran performance monitor and my nic card is pegged at 100%. I have two NIC cards, but only one is transmitting and receiving. I did some checking there does not seem to be a way to enable load balancing on a Win2K Server which is what I am running. Is it possible to load balance NIC cards on regular 2000 server. Or do I have to upgrade to 2000 advanced server?

BackupExec 8.0 for NetWare
I am having endless problems with this at the moment. Everytime a backup job starts it hangs and abends the server. I am going to put backup exec in 'protective workspace' but I still don't understand why it does this - HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back