Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How is their DNS name getting propagated to the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson2468

Technical User
Jun 2, 2006
US
I am curious as to how our DNS is getting propagated to the main DNS servers and converged to the outside main DNS world.

This is a new company I work for and I am trying to gather information that was not documented properly before. No one can answer any questions about how the guy that left did anything, and nothing is documented.

There are three Windows DNS servers in our DMZ. All searches and whois being done from the internet show these DNS servers as the SOA for the domains.

These DNS server have nothing special about the config and only have the root hint servers configured, I see no zone transfers configured or anything the would point to how the domain names are getting propagated to the world.

I would think the some third party would be involved somehow, but I am thinking that they would have to be the SOA and pointing to our DNS servers in some way. But our servers show up everywhere I look.

Anyone have any ideas?
Am I wrong about the SOA?

Could a third party still be advertising our domain names and pointing to our three DNS servers?

When the domain name is registered, the registration agent submits it to the root server (eg. .com, .net). Part of the registration is the IP address of the authoritative name server for that domain. Then when someone looks up the domain, the initial searches will go back to the root servers, which will in turn point the authoritative name server. I am sure that at the root level, there are multiple servers that do share and propagate.

Thanks for the reply.

I see all three of our DNS servers in Internic's database.

who controls how the server are hit for lookups?

Are they round robin by default?

The Top Level Domains (TLD) are controlled by Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

There are a great many companies out there that will register a FQDN for your static IP. Just Google search Register TLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back