Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How I make a public IP resolved from Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HT777

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2004
GR
Hello,
I have a public IP given from my ISP.I also have a DSL line and a router.My problem is that I cannot make this public IP resolved from Internet so to setup a VPN network.I have a PDC server that is also a DHCP server for my LAN.
Please any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

If I have read your question correctly you need to add your server information to a Nameserver so that your domain name will resolve properly to your public IP address. Your ISP may provide this service for you. Another option would be to host your own (DNS) Nameserver.

Hope this helps,

Sb

Sounds more to me like your best bet would be a dynamic DNS service. See There are others, so google for 'dynamic dns service'.

You will end up with a fqdn similar to yourserver.dyndns.org. Actually, you will be allowed to pick a name, and you should use something that is not obvious to the rest of the world while being easy for you to keep track of.

That will take care of resolving your public IP, if you have a router doing address translation (internet connection sharing) you will need to forward the appropriate ports to your server internally.

Thanks a lot both of you for your advices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back