Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How high to mount kiosk on the wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CablingPro

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2002
US
Hi all,

I'm tasked with a medical kiosk rollout project. The kiosks we’ll be installing are relatively small with 15’’touch screen and get mounted on the wall in doctor’s office. Our audience is adult patients that will be taking a very brief electronic survey.

Given, we need to comply with ADA act and other regulatory requirements we’re trying to determine the optimal height at which the kiosk gets installed on the wall.

Right now the kiosk is permanently fixed to the wall, but in the future we’ll be considering installing it on the expandable arm and allow to pull it down/up as necessary.

Any tips or leads are appreciated.

Not 100% certain a kiosk would be the same, but these are the requirements for a text type phone location. They should be very similar if not the same.

The operator button is located at a height of 46 in
if the coin slot is at 54 in.
A generally available public telephone with a coin slot mounted lower on the equipment would
allow universal installation of telephones at a height of 48 in or less.
To be usable with a pay telephone, a text telephone that is not a single integrated text
telephone pay telephone requires:
• An electrical outlet.
• An electrical power cord.
• A shelf with dimensions of:
10 in wide.
10 in deep.
6 in vertical clearance.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

I have mounted many point of sale touch screens for restaurant use. Generally the top of the screen is about the same height as the light switches.
As far as ADA goes, if you have to allow for wheel chair users, then it will more than likely have to sit on a table and you can follow those standards for counter height etc.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

This is very helpful. How didn't I think about the public telephones? I guess they're almost extinct around here anymore.

The kiosk has a paper inlet/guide on its top for scanning docs, which we'll have to take into consideration as well.

Don't want to mount it too low as we're concerned with kids potentially playing with the device though.

Yes, the kiosk can be table top mounted but most installations will be wall mount.

Yes, this is link is useful as well. Although the kioks aren't ready for users with vision impairments yet, the next generation of kioks will be with voice prompts and voice recognition.

BTW before you spout off a dimension, try it yourself. Both of our keyboard shelves is 25" off the floor. My better half in in a power chair and her arms wouldn't reach a keyboard 34 or 42" above the floor. In fact, try it yourself. Put a large metropolitan yellow pages on top of the surface of your desk and the keyboard on top of that! That's about 34". Would you like to type on that all day?

LkEErie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back