Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How fax from outlook using CP

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevePage

IS-IT--Management
Aug 17, 2006
US
I can't figure out how to fax from outlook using call pilot. I can recieve faxes fine but I cannot fax out for some reason. I've never been able to fax out, only recieve, am I missing a setting or something? is there a checkbox unchecked? I'm at a loss and am beating my head against the monitor trying to figure it out. any help is appreciated :)

what's the error msg that you're getting when sending the fax?

There is no error on the Call Pilot server, I get a "System Administrator: Undeliverable Message" error in Outlook 2003. I know it may be an Email issue, but I'm not sure what to do next to get the problem fixed.

There should be more detail to the undeliverable message in outlook. what is the rest of the message?

Are you sure you really want to compose a fax message in Call Pilot?
If you have Desktop Messaging installed on your PC then you can fax a document by printing to the "Nortel Fax". Much easier than addressing an email - to me anyway.

The message you are getting can arise from a number of causes, but I think the most common one in the past few years would definitely be AntiVirus software blocking TCP port 25. The 'bad ol days' when we used to see mass-mailing worms with their own SMTP send engines led to most AV vendors making blocks on TCP25 a default setting for their products. CallPilot uses this port as it's client to server conduit for facsimilie transmissions.

If this is your particular issue, there are two ways of getting around this; open TCP 25 on your antivirus software (maybe not the best idea), or change the port which CallPilot uses to Secure Layer SMTP (SSL). You can find the setting for this in the client through the CallPilot Service property sheet (or just right-click the root of your CallPilot mailbox and choose 'Properties'... 'Advanced'... 'Mail'... 'Advanced') and turn on SSL for both IMAP and SMTP.

There is a corresponding setting you must enable in the CallPilot server to support the secure layer ports: In the CallPilot Manager web applet choose 'Messaging'... 'Message Delivery Configuration'... 'Security Modes for SMTP Sessions' (note - can be hard to find as it is just a hyperlinked piece of text on the MDC page)... and turn on the SSL options there.

The second posibility is that the CallPilot server address/ name (if using FQDN must exactly match what is configured at CP server), and or SMTP/VPIM information are not correctly configured at the client.

Cheers,
C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back