Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How far can I upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

acroniscronie

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2003
GB
I've been asked to upgrade a friend's PC its a HP Pavilion 7945. It has a P4 1.5Ghz Socket 478 CPU and I was wondering what I can shoe horn in. The HP sites says that the motherboard has a 400 Mhz front side bus.

Not being familiar with the practice of overclocking and upgrading does anyone have any advice I can follow ?

I may be mistaken, but from the top of my head you should be able to install any Williamette Socket 478 CPU up to 2.4 GHz (I think). Just be careful because the Northwood versions started at 2.2GHz, so there is definitely some overlap.

I'm sure someone else can post a chart correcting my numbers.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Ahh...correction! I went ahead and looked up this chart:

Since you have a socket 478 chipset 400MHz FSB (assuming that 533MHz isn't supported), then the highest you can go is the 2.6GHz Northwood 400MHz version. But I'll heed caution again in mentioning that the newer Northwoods support both 533MHz and 800MHz frontside busses, so make sure you're getting the right one. Also check your mobo manufacturer's website for BIOS support.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Many thanks for your help. I've been able to find out loads of stuff from the site you've directed me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back