Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How export Username & Password at NT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warik

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
ID
Dear All,

I have a NT Server with 20 users and thier own password. But I have some problem with the server, so I have to reinstall that NT Server from the begining (New).

I don't know how to export the username and password from the old NT Server, so next time, I could import that file to new NT Server and the new NT Server have the same user with the same password.

Please help me.
Thank you in advance.

Find these 3 files in the Winnt folder;
samsrv.dll, samlib.dll, winlogon.exe
They hold all the user account details, copy these to the new installation and reboot,
A good plan would be to reinstall NT4 Server in a new folder alongside the old install,(Call it Winnt2)
NT4 should pick this up in the boot menu it displays at startup
Then copy the 3 files over and use the new install, you can delete the old one or keep it as a standby, I usually install NT4 twice like this in case one goes bad
Hope this helps

fitfixer,

Are you sure? Doesn't \WINNT\system32\config\SAM hold the user account details?

Will you be restoring the shared folders onto the new server and will it have the same computer name as the orginal?

If so why not just create and use the repair disk option and restore these settings.

The files are in Winnt/system32, I have restored user accounts just by transferring these files to a new install of NT4 server,

Is this a domain controller (PDC or BDC)? If you have a PDC and a BDC and this server is one of the two, then you shouldn't have to worry about usernames/passwords as long as you make sure that replication has occured.

I was working on the assumption that with only 20 users, it is unlikely that Warik has a second server, I ran a single server network for a while and came across this problem,
If you have a BDC, replicating the SAM is not a problem

fitfixer,

Yeah, I can see why you could assume that.

But, I've worked for a place that had 15 employees and we had a PDC (main file/print server) and a small BDC that was used for backup, dhcp, wins, etc.

I'll have to remember your suggestion if I am in a one server network.

Thanks

Thank's for you all guys, I really appreciated your answer to help my problem. I still trying to do as Fitfixer information, I hope it work...

Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back