Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how doI get 3 monitors to work in XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedsmith

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
AU
I have an on board SIS AGP and 1 x SIS PCI card working perfectly in Win XP but when I plug in a third identical PCI card, the three show as being installed in the Hardware profile but gives no output from the third card and the third numbered blue window with the big number on it does not appear in Monitor Settings.
Setting PCI to first in CMOS does not work at all.
Any ideas?

I tried combining PCI and AGP video. I found on another forum that the video cards cannot be mixed. I am using 2 PCI cards and it works perfect. My 3rd computer with multiple monitors. Once the video card and monitor are installed. go to the properties tab on the desktop and click the Extend my monitor tab. You'll see the Monitor come on. do tha djusting etc.. my advice is to have both monitors at the same resolution and if the mouse doesn't extend to the other monitor, go back and click identify. then drag the monitor to the correct side to correspond with the position you want. I have read that WIN XP will handle up to 9 monitors at once, but i have never seen that many slots on a motherboard.. Boasting perhaps?

Well I have no problem running AGP and one PCI but you cant use a AGP slot if you have an AGP on board output.
My problem (above) seems to be with WIN XP as it is OK on Win98. With 3 cards in XP. only 2 big blue boxes appear in settings even with 3 cards although 3 cards show as being installed OK in the Hardware profile.
I get 3 blue boxes in Win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back