Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does squint work

Status
Not open for further replies.

technofool007

Technical User
Jun 30, 2005
CA
I am new to linux/fedora. How is squint used to monitor internet traffic, and how can the access list be configured to restrict the use of msn messenger?

Please help.

To restrict the use of messenger you may want to block messenger port using iptables.

COncerning squint, I found that SARG is generally a better solution to produce internet/squid use reports. The kind of reports provided by squint are also available in SARG, but many more reports are also available through an interactive interface.

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

How does SARG work? How do you block the ports through IP tables? and wouldn't the port blocked affect other traffic?

No, it will not affect the traffic on other ports.
Iptables is no topic that can be explained in a few lines.

just as example:
Code:
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport xxx -j DROP
will block incoming traffic on interface eth0 on port xxx.

How are your networking skills? Are you familiar with the way TCP works? is yes then you can find reference on iptables at

SARG is a module that you can use through webmin and produces reports on your squid proxy server utiltisation.

If i remember correctly it requires perl to be installed on your system; on a redhat system you can install sarg by trying something like

yum install sarg

If it does not find it try downloading the rpm and installing it manually.

YOu will also find reference in the site above.

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back