Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does AMO identify a software suite? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre7

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
NZ
I would appreciate it if someone could please tell me how AMO identifies a software suite.

In this instance, I asked my techo colleague to identify instances of Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise V6.0 on our LAN. He asked me to provide him with a unique file to look for. However, Visual Studio merely consists of a collection of applications, none of which are uniquely identified as being "Studio". It's just Visual Basic and a group of other apps.

There are a group of applications which are supplied with the Enterprise Edition and not the Professional Edition. However, it is possible that users didn't always choose to install all these files, so I don't have a unique set of files to look for.

Could someone please put me out of my misery or point me to a URL with info?
Many thanks,
Andre

In the software library section of the AMO administrator, there is a list of software programs by category. Within each category is a specific software program. You can create new packages to be recognized by identifying a file that is associated with the package (usually an .exe, an .ini, or a .dll) with a particular date, time, and or size. By differentiating between the date and time, you can usually associate a particular software version with a file.

Thank you very much for your response.
Andre

But If I want to see in the application list for a specific Unit only the suite name ie. Microsoft Office 2000 Professional. What I do to recognize the only the suite ?

If I create a suite in AMO admin console and associte the applications which are members of this suite, the unit must have all members of the suite installed to AMO recognize the suite ???

If the unit have only two members of the suite AMO not count this unit with the Microsoft Office 2000??

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back