Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does a published 2010 database work on Sharepoint? as compared to a shared drive location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack10

Programmer
Feb 3, 2010
US
How does Access 2010 and Sharepoint work. For example if I create a 2010 database application and its Published to Sharepoint....what does that mean
to the users, how does the database behave and look in a published state on Sharepoint. Does that mean, the users navigate the database with a
browser. Can someone give me a high level explanation of how the two products work together.

The "Content Database" does what it states it holds the Content for a "Web Application". So when you create a "Site Collection" all the content and metadata of the content is stored in the database. Now when a user goes to the SharePoint site, it is pulling the content from the database. This is the sharepoint magic, the sharepoint services running will retrieve the pages from the database when a web call is detected to access a page in the site. So it looks like to the end user they are just browsing to a normal web page that is typically hosted on a filesystem. Now there are things like templates that are hosted on the filesystem that are applied to the pages and webparts when they are accessed. Also for each "Web Application" there is a virtual directory on the filesystem in the inetpub directory that hosts some files, i.e. web.config file.

Does this answer your question?

Windows Haiku:

Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back