Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you use Progress extents with ODBC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2002
GB
Paul,
I wanted to start this as a new thread. I am connecting to Progress 9.1c with Merant drivers. Several of the fields contain arrays. How do I access these as seperate fields in Access?

I have a view on the table which uses:
convert ('decimal', nullif( pro_element ("TRI_DEC" ,1 ,1),'?') )
to split the fields up.

Is it possible to write to the individual fields in this view? (I have tried but I am not sure what is causing the error).

Or is there another SQL command that I should use to write to the nth extant in a field?

thanks in advance

Mike Gordon

Original thread:
VisFoxPro's SQLEXEC command to access Progress DB via ODBC
thread 292-107996

phirst (Programmer) Sep 3, 2001
Hi Hery,
Another idea or two...
Does the table in question have fields with extents (arrays), if so you will have to create a view for this table. (I got hold of a program which does this automatically, so if you need it let me know).

Cheers,
Paul.

I have a similar problem and have found the string functions, left, mid and right, helpful in writing an Access query that will read different segments of the array (extent) field from Progress.

Hi Jenny,

Yes that is what I eventually did. I have a SQL server DTS package that concatentates all the separate fields from a holding table and then writes the record to Progress, then deletes the records from the holding table.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back