Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you unload Teradata tables to a datasets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelob

Programmer
May 27, 2002
PH
Hello,

Is there a utility that I can use to unload a teradata table to a dataset? What I wanted to do is unload a table from PRODUCTION and load the data in the test environment. Please advise on how to do about this.

Thanks a lot!
Gelo :)

There are a number of methods that could be employed but let me note the most common and easiest.

1.) If the table is relatively small < 10 MB then I would use BTEQ export. The syntax is a simple as ...

.EXPORT DATA FILE=filename
select * from tablename;

2.) If the table is larger then I would recommend FastExport which has similar syntax but is more efficient at unloading large volumes of data.

3.) If the two environments are on the same server (which is generally not likely) then you can do a simple insert/select statement to copy the data over.

4.) You can also archive a copy of the table and restore it to another system. Doug Drake
(MOZC)

Hi,
If the 2 servers oare on the same network you might want to try a Fastexport into a Named pipe with a fastload on the otehr side loading the data into your test system.

This is the method behing a tool called OLEDBLOAD.

You define a load source and a load target and it magically builds the necessary scripts and manages the transfer. The source and target can be Teradata Database servers, Flat files or even Oracle databases.

its pretty cool and limits the amount of disk space required to do the transfer since it never lives on disk very longinside the named pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back