Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you teletype text in Premiere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwatkins

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
US
In other words, how do you simulate computer typing? Like what you see when a "incoming transmission" occurs in the movies?

I would like to know as well... I assumed they used Flash or something similar and spliced it in...

I would say you could do a couple things. Make a new title for each new letter of text, and have that be a frame. Or, to add nice effects, go into Photoshop, type and save frame by frame in BMP format at 720x480. It is a bitch, but it will get it done.

Also, After Effects would work. But, I haven't the slightest clue how to use it.

Hmmm!. Well, I'm hoping someone could recommend a plug-in or something. I think final-cut has a "typewriter" effect. I'll keep searching.

I have AE. If I figure it out(a simple solution) I'll share the how-to.

thanks

yeah, i'm interested too, is there anyway to insert a script or a recorded process into a adobe premiere?

If it weren't a lot of text and you wanted a transparent background, then I would build successive PCT files, each with an alpha channel. Then, I would pop them in one-at-a-time.

If there was a lot of text (let's say I decide that I hate my viewers), then I would do a separate line and then to a wipe-on transition.

This would be especially easy if the background was just black, 'cause then I could just use Motion controls and pull a black card away from each line, one at a time. If the text is small and we hear a visual tap-tap-tap cue, we probably won't notice that the letters are being wiped on.

If you have a lot of letters and you want them to appear on a transparent level, with some sort of action goin on underneath, well, criminy, that'll be a pain.

Most of the time, this kinda thing is limited to a line or two at most. Much more and you're going to bore/annoy the viewers. Do a moody cut shot. For example, the sweat on the spy's brow, the two inches of ash hanging from the journalist's cigarette, the nervous eyes of the government whistleblower. Text rippling across the screen should be kept at a minimum.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back