Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you share files and printers? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperChao

Technical User
Nov 7, 2002
US
I've got my 2 computers, XP and 98, hooked up with the 4-port router. I'm using it to share the DSL connection already, but how do you set up the computers so that I can exchange files and share the printer?

Here is a far reaching option. Do you have a VPN connection that starts up automatically (i.e. connection to work). If you do, then I would install netbeui on both machines. The VPN software can block other computers in your local network from not seeing each other. On the XP box, go to to qarticle on how to install netbeui

[thumbsup]

I'm not using a VPN connection. The computers are both hooked up to the same router in the same room. Turns out I can ping both computers on Win98 by hostname, but on WinXP it can only ping itself by hostname. IP addresses still work, and I still haven't had much time to work on them. Thanks again for all the help, and I hope I can get this working soon.

Your main problem here is that File and Print Sharing is not installed properly on the Win98 pc. If it was, then you would see "sharing" in the menu when you right-click a folder. Until you get that resolved, you will not be able to share from Win98 to WinXP.

However, are you able to share from the XP box to the Win98 box? You should be able to. Does the XP box appear in Network Neighborhood on the 98 pc? Also, does each pc have a separate IP address? If the router uses DHCP, then the pc's should already have unique IP addresses.

This document might help you out:

Sometimes it's not worth the hassle of configuring it over TCP/IP. I agree that it should work, but in the end, whatever works takes the cake...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Okay, here's the summary about my problem. Everything is as it should be except 2 things:
1) Win98 is not sharing files, cannot see WinXP
2) WinXP cannot ping the Win98 hostname, cannot see Win98
I can live with the first problem for now - the main thing I need right now is printer sharing. What would be the cause of a computer being able to ping its own hostname, all IP addresses, but not the other computer's hostname?

1) Does the Win98 pc have any firewall software running?
2) Have you tried pinging its IP address instead of the hostname?
3) Do both pc's have different IP addresses on the network? ~cdogg

- A. Einstein

As a last resort, you may need to update the hosts file with the names of your boxes. I know on Xp it's in the
WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc directory. It's actually quiet easy to edit. Just make sure you enter a line feed after the last entry. Your final hosts file will look something like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.1 xp_system
192.168.1.2 w98_system

[smile]

HyperChao,

On the Win98 box, does your Network control panel look like this?
net1.jpg

If so, when you click on the File and Print Sharing button, do you get this?
net2.jpg

The Old Man [yinyang] What goes around - comes around. [wink]
The Old Man

If you feel that I have been helpful or that this post can help others, please indicate it with a star.

IP addresses are configured correctly. I have said before that they are unique. All pings work except from XP to 98 hostname. There is no firewall on the Win98 and I've turned off the one on WinXP. The stuff you showed in the pictures was the first thing I did, and yet it doesn't allow sharing. That's why I don't get it. As for the file editing, why is the host 127.0.0.1? Should it be changed to something else like the router IP?

Yet another suggestion:

1) Go into the properties of your TCP/IP protocol (if you have more than one, go into all of them).

2) Find and click the Bindings tab

3) Is File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks checked? If not, try checking it and reboot.

** even if this fixes your problem, understand that using TCP/IP to share files is inviting unwelcome hacks. It is better to use NetBIOS since it's not a routable protocol.

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Yeah, I made sure that the box was checked. I've edited the HOSTS file on both computers. I can now ping both ways in every way. But still no signs of sharing capabilities from the Win98 computer.

So now the only problem you're having is:
Win98 is not sharing files, cannot see WinXP in Network Neighborhood

Is that right? If so, understand that something is really wrong on the Win98 box. I know you've already removed and re-added all the protocols, but you want to try again. The problem is that Sharing... won't appear, so it has to be a missing file or registry entry.

If a 2nd attempt to remove and re-add all clients, protocols, and services fails, then consider reinstalling WIn98 on top of itself. This will ensure that any missing files are replaced.

After all that, still no dice?? Then you've probably got a corrupt registry. Hate to say it, but you're looking at wiping the HD and doing a clean install of 98.

Hope it works out for ya!

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Hmm... I doubt I'll go and reformat the computer just for a printer. I will try the reinstallation though. Do I need to do anything special for WinXP to show up in the Network Neighborhood? I have a couple things shared - would they automatically show up?

Oh yeah, If I access the Network Places from my WinXP computer should I be able to see itself in there too in the workgroup? Cause the workgroup is unaccessible.

Do I need to do anything special for WinXP to show up in the Network Neighborhood?
Shouldn't have to, but I have noticed that it is much harder for Win95/98 boxes to see Win2K/XP boxes in net'hood. If you can't get it to show in 98, go to Start->Run and type \\hostname where hostname is the WinXP computer. After hitting OK, an explorer window should pop up showing you the shared folders from the XP box.

If I access the Network Places from my WinXP computer should I be able to see itself in there too in the workgroup?
You should be able to see yourself if you've got something shared. I'm not sure why you can't. It might be because in order for a workgroup to be active, there has to be at least one other active node. In this case, the Win98 pc isn't networked properly. Until we get that fixed, both pc's will continue to have problems in net'hood.

~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Okay, finally. I was just messing around what I've been doing this whole time, but the Win98 computer is sharing now. I can see the both computers in Network Neighborhood. I haven't checked the WinXP computer, but I'm sure it's working too. Thanks for all the help guys.

What did you do to get sharing enabled on the 98 computer? So that if this comes up again others will know.

I have no idea why it's starting to work now. All the settings are the same. I removed everything (protocols, services) and reinstalled before, and that didn't help the first couple times. I tried to install NetBEUI once, and removed it later. It started to work after I reinstalled everything again, but I wonder why it took multiple tries because I was doing the same things over and over again...

Okay, one last question: if I want to switch to NetBEUI just for security, what do I do? I installed the protocol on the WinXP computer through the CD. Is there nothing I need to configure? It won't let me access properties. Does it do everything for me?
As for on the Win98 computer, do I just uncheck the Sharing part in Bindings for the TCP/IP and have only check it on the NetBEUI protocol? Do I need that Client and Family Logon checked in NetBEUI also?
Thanks again for the help and I hope I don't have any more problems =)

In Win98 do you even use family logon (multiple users)? If not I would uninstall it. Client for MS networks should be checked. If you want to do this for security, you should unbind F&P sharing from TCP/IP in XP also. From the menus in your network connections select Advanced, Advanced Settings.

Okay, so check everything in both protocols except for the sharing on the TCP/IP? I don't use Family Login, but I thought someone mentioned to install it. I was just about to take it out anyway because that login window is annoying ^.^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back