Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you share files and printers? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyperChao

Technical User
Nov 7, 2002
US
I've got my 2 computers, XP and 98, hooked up with the 4-port router. I'm using it to share the DSL connection already, but how do you set up the computers so that I can exchange files and share the printer?

HyperChao,

If you already use a router, you've got 80% of the work already done. Here is a step-by-step guide to doint it. You can skip to step 8 but note that there is a different set for Win98 and WinXP. Once you go to step 8 and click on the appropriate link, skip to step 3 for the sharing instructions.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

Thanks for the link, but what protocol should I use? I've been trying TCP/IP - what's the difference between it and NETBEUI? I've tried running the Home Networking Wizard on both computers - it works fine on XP, but when I run it on 98, it terminates the program before it finishes (older computer). Since the network card is used for both Internet and computer-to-computer transfer, do I need 2 different protocol setups for the cards? The hardware stuff was pretty easy.... =P

HyperChao,

NetBEUI is an evolution of NetBIOS and is simple to install, setup and use. However, it is fairly old. XP no longer supports NetBEUI although there is a way you can install it. The sharing can all be done with TCP/IP.

Forget the wizard. In my opinion, it causes more problems than it is worth. All you need to do at this point is
- Make sure each computer has a unique name
- Both computers have exactly the same workgroup name
- File and Printer Sharing is installed on both machines
- Something is shared on each machine

Also make sure the Win98 machine uses "Client for Microsoft Networks" as the Primary Network Logon.

That should do it.

Good luck.
The Old Man

Either protocol will work but...XP no longer supports NetBEUI. It can be installed but I wouldn't bother because TCP/IP will work just as well in your situation. The XP network wizard works well sometimes, and sometimes it just won't work. You can set up the 98 computer manually.

Control Panel, Network, Configuration tab. You should have: Client for MS Networks, your network card, TCP/IP, and File & Print Sharing (if desired). On the Identification tab, give the computer a name & use the same Workgroup as the XP computer.

This info along with the link that TheOldMan346 gave earlier, should get you there. If you need anything more specific just post back.

Oops - just looked at the topic. I guess you do want enable F&P sharing.

Okay, I've had all of that done for a while now... but they still can't recognize each other. Names are unique and workgroup is the same. File sharing is enabled on both computers, and the computer with XP has some files and the printer shared. But Win98 isn't showing the option for sharing in the right-click menu. I have checked multiple times - file sharing IS checked. I guess that's the only thing keeping me from getting this whole thing to work. I'll mess around with it some more... thanks for the help, and hope you know what's wrong =)

"File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" has been there ever since I can remember. The settings on it are: Browse Master - Auto, and LM Announce - No. I clicked the "File and Print Sharing..." button and checked "I want to be able to give others access to my files." I left the other unchecked because the printer is on the other computer. I don't see why it won't let me share...

Maybe it's time to take a step back. Does each computer see both itself and the other in Network Neighborhood (view network computers on XP)?

Also, does the '98 computer have any errors when starting? Was this computer ever a member of a domain? What I'm leading to is: could there be a policy in effect that would have disabled F&P sharing?

That's the problem - they don't recognize each other. The Win98 starts up fine, has never been networked with another computer before, and sharing is enabled. The two computers can ping each others' IP address, if that bit of info helps at all.

If they can ping each other that's good. Let's get specific:
can the xp computer see the 98 computer?
can the 98 computer see the xp computer?

In the network configuration on the '98 computer you have:
Client for MS networks
Your network card
TCP/IP
File & Printer Sharing
correct?

What is your primary network logon on '98? On the '98 machine, hit start - does the start menu show Logoff xxxxxx (some username)? Try to logoff, when win98 starts up, don't cancel the user & password box. You don't have to enter a password, but do enter a username & click OK.

I just looked at TheOldMan346's link and he has some good info about the policy that I referred to. Did you check this out?

Your assumptions are correct. Neither computer has anything show up in network places. The Win98 has "Client for Microsoft Networks" for the Primary Network Logon, and there is a "Logoff" option under the Start menu. And there are no policies disabling file sharing.

HyperChao, Along with the previous tips ,make sure you have actually Shared a folder EG. MyDocuments. Does it show the Sharing Hand underneath folder on your desktop? If you have setup networking protocols,workgroup name and sharing, then you should be able to ping your computer IP and it's Name.Then you should "see" yourself in Network Neighbourhood on both PC's. I also suggest disabling all firewalls.I have found most sharing problems are due to firewall and/or Router settings,especially Linksys routers as some do not have explicit firewall diabling settings (as my SMC router does)which is helpful in troubleshooting networks.

The whole problem is that it won't let me share folders/files on my Win98 computer. I have some folders and a printer on share from the WinXP computer. As I said, they can ping each other, but the computers don't show up as a network place. The WinXP firewall is disabled, but I'm not sure about the router...

HyperChao, in order to share you must be able to "see" yourself in N.Nghbrhood if not, then config.is not right.Try setting up Win98 PC with static IP(likely 192.168.1.100 or something like this).Try to ping Win98 by NAME from Win XP PC.Also disconnect router WAN port(to modem) for now, leaving only LAN connected.Reboot PC's and router.Check if network is ok.I would actually suggest connecting PC's in Peer-to- Peer directly, with a Cross-over ethernet cable.That way you're dealing with PC's only.If that works then it points to router setup as being the culprit.I'm assuming Workgroup is exactly the same on both PC's... Good Luck.

HyperChao,

Sorry, I was unavailable for a while.

Based on the fact that "File andf Printer Sharing" appears in the Win98 config but Sharing option is not accessible, I would say part of your networking has become corrupted. The basic elements of the protocol stack are OK since you can ping in both directions. This is not uncommon in Win9x.

My suggestion, remove all networking components in Win98 and reinstall them. Here is a link that may be of assistance.

Hope that helps.
The Old Man

Bah... don't feel like making a crossover cable - I might end up having to do that eventually. When you refer to "networking components" it's the hardware right? Or do you mean the protocols, software, etc too?

HyperChao,

No, not the hardware. The protocols, adapters, services, etc. The software components.

The Old Man

Okay, I finally got the Internet back working. I've managed to get the two computers to ping each other by name (changed to many things to pinpoint what actually did it) but I still can't get the "share" option in the folder/file properties. Bugging the heck out of me. I did remove and re-added the protocols. Sharing will be available on a tab in the properties right? Or in the right-click menu? Doesn't seem to be anything wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back