Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW DO YOU SETUP REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevbrain

Technical User
Mar 8, 2007
GB
I'm new to all this Remote Desktop Connection stuff and am in need of a bit of help completing it.

Basically I have a Wireless Network in work that uses a NETGEAR Router (ISP METRONET). There is one permanent PC and my Laptop.

All PC's are protected by NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2007.

I take my Laptop home and it connects to the home Wireless Network through a BT VOYAGER Router (ISP MADASAFISH). Again there is one permanent PC and my Laptop.

Both at home and at work, there has never been a problem connecting my Laptop to either Network and everythink works ok. I now need the facility to be able to print off documents, drawings etc. from home to my work printers.

I have managed to get the Remote Connection to work at home using the XP RDC and using IE name/tsweb/ method. Everything works both ways perfectly. I haven't yet tried the same at work though.

I have setup the Work PC to allow remote connections etc. but what do I have to do to access this PC from my Laptop at home?

I've read various articles on this site and some mention VPN or TS GATEWAY etc. but all of this is new to me.

Can anyone advise or point me in the right direction as to how I can connect from home to work please?

you have to setup a vpn and that's the only way so you have access to your work computer from home.

here is what you need. 1. a vpn cable router 2. at least 1 static ip from your isp.

rmcp2k,

Many thanks for your reply; I have been through my Router Manual and it apprears that it already supports a VPN so hopefully will get that one to work.

Am requesting static IP addresses from my ISP so hopefully I'll be having a go soon!

Any problems I'll get back to you.

Perharps... you might try getting Safeword for Citrix or RSA, this if you have Citrix Setup with CAG at you Company.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back