Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you resolve "Report width is greater than paper width?" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiccup

Programmer
Jan 15, 2003
US
I'm using VB6 and have created a DataReport. However, when I try to print the report, I get the message "Report width is greater than paper width" - can someone tell me what I need to do with the DataReport property setting to correct this. I've tried different setting with the properties "Report Width" and "Width" that I see in the properties of the report, but I always get the same message. Several of my DataReports aren't as wide as the problem report and they work fine. It seems that when I get near a landscaped DataReport that's greater than 10 inches wide I start getting the problem. Does VB6 have an inherent width problem?

The DataReport is 15360 twips wide (divided by 1440 twips/inch = 10.66 inches.)

Thanks in advance!!

I'm guessing when you add that to your printer margins that it is too wide. There are minimum margins (which vary by printer) .

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Thanks traingamer for your response, but I'm confused about your printer margins comments. I'm on a network printer at work that will print (depending on the size of the document the user sends to the printer) either letter, legal or 11X17" paper. The printer has these three paper-size trays.

I've used this same printer at work to print other VB DataReports I've created, and it works fine. I'm gussing that there's something about my DataReport property settings of this particular report that's causing the problem???

Can you choose the paper source / size / tray etc. for your printer in 'Print Setup' for this data Report?

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

traingamer - I just discovered, that the report WILL print if I reduce it to no wide than 6 1?2" - is this some kind of VB limitation or, as I asked before, is it a problem with my property settings of the DataReport?

Thanks for any help!!

To answer your question about the paper source selection, I have a cmdButton on my VB Form that, when clicked, prints the report and it doesn't give me the option of selecting the paper source tray, etc.

When you are designing it, can you go into File->Print Setup and choose paper size, orientation, etc.? The default is typically portrait (which I'm guessing is how your example printed).

Greg

I can, but I think it setting up a printout for the VB program not the DataReport because I still get the same message when I try to print the report. I have, however been able to get the DataReport up to 8 1/2" wide now and still get it to print without the "Too Wide" message.

But, still when working on the design of the DataReport I can make the DataReport wider than 8 1/2", but I get the message and the DataReport wont display. When I keep the design 8 1/2" or less wide, then the DataReport displays and at that point I can click on the printer icon in the upper left corner of the DataReport and select the paper size and orientation and it will print out accordingly, but it, of course, prints only the width of the DataReport I've designed. That is, 8 1/2" wide on the 11X17" landscaped paper, which is not what I need on the printed page.

I did reduce the left and right margin properties of the DataReport, which allowed me to get up to the 8 1/2" wide report without the error message. But I really need it about another 5 or 6" wide.

If there was someway to setup a wider report during desig-time without getting the message when printing it, I could then select whatever paper-size and orientation when the DataReport displays.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Sorry. Reached my knowledge limit. I'm sure someone here can help.

Thanks anyway...here's a star for your suggestions!

I have found that the main reason that I get this problem is because some object on the report has accidently been moved .... eg. redesign of the report.

some object has been moved to the right ... thus widening the form ... even if it is moved back into position the form width remains at new value ... until you change it !

Thanks, PeterWallace.....that's exactly what was the problem with my DataReport. Corrected it and it works fine now!

glad that the number of times that the *#!@@$*** thing has happened to me is of some use to somebody ....

glad to help

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back