Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you reset Startup properties???

Status
Not open for further replies.

IssyMarie

MIS
Jun 14, 2000
US
I am currently working on a database that runs on Windows NT.  After a user logs in, my database recognizes their NT login name, and then they can open the database.  Based on their NT name, they can either have full or limited access to the database(based on a table of restricted users).  If they have full access, they can see everything, including the database window.  HOWEVER, if they are supposed to have limited access, I set the startup properties so that the database window does not show up. I have the  StartupShowDBWindow property set to false for the restricted users.  This works, BUT.... I have many users logging onto this database across the network, and if an approved user logs on and gets to see everything, then if an unapproved user logs on after that, they also get to see the database window.  But if you close the database and reopen it, then the settings for the unapproved user go into effect.  So the problem is, that after one user type has used the database, it takes two times before the correct setting works for a different type of user.  I need to know how to reset the startup properties everytime the database closes ... or how this works...  Can anyone help?  (If that all made any sense!) :)

IssyMarie,<br><br>Have you considered installing the front-end of the application onto each user's hard drive (or creating an installation program that takes care of the install for you?)&nbsp;&nbsp;Then, each person is logging onto their own copy of the App, linked to the essential tables.&nbsp;&nbsp;When they log off and log back on, you will not have to worry about the settings changing.<br><br>-Chopper<br><A HREF="mailto:kenneth.mai@exch.compass-usa.com">kenneth.mai@exch.compass-usa.com</A>

Chopper... that would definitely be a good idea... except not in this situation.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have common pc's that any random person can log onto under their NT name.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then the problem would just start all over again... you see?&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks for trying to help though :)

IssyMarie,<br><br>Have you tried the approach I mentioned?&nbsp;&nbsp;Like you said, when you hide the database window it appears every other time, but only if it is opened already by you or someone else.&nbsp;&nbsp;If each PC has it's own copy, only one person can open that copy at one time, preventing the database window from displaying on startup for the users you do not want to give access to.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>However, these users can still get to the database window by going to the file menu and choosing the application they just opened.&nbsp;&nbsp;Since the database is already opened, it will open the database window.&nbsp;&nbsp;As you know, they may also press F11 or click on the database window icon. (unless you disabled these keys and/or turned off these properties on the startup options)<br><br>The only true way (I know) to prevent them from getting to the database window is to turn off every option on the startup options screen (except Display Status Bar) and use the shift bypass so they cannot get around the autoexec macro.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have not tested the ramifications of changing these properties through code while someone else is using the application, so I would still advise putting a copy on each PC.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>If you give it a go, I am interested to hear how it works, as I anticipate using something very similar in the near future.<br><br>-Chopper<br><A HREF="mailto:kenneth.mai@exch.compass-usa.com">kenneth.mai@exch.compass-usa.com</A>

IssyMarie,

I encountered a similar problem setting the application's title and icon. There is a method &quot;RefreshTitleBar&quot; that I used to update the startup Application Name & Application Icon properties, and have them take effect immediately, instead of waiting for the next time the user entered the DB. I'm not sure if that method will help or not, but there may be a similar method to update the startup properties. There is also a .Refresh method that you can use on most collections, such as the Documents collection, that may update the startup properties instantly. You may have to determine which collection those properties belong to to know which to update.

Best,

lldevel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back