Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you rename a tape that already has data on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airwolf19

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2001
US
I run daily backups and this month, for instance, the last backup I got was on a tape called "Thursday". In the job history, it shows up as "Thursday". I would like for it to to show up as "Jun 2001 - Month End". Is there a way to do this?

Unfortunately NO. Not without losing the header information on the tape. This would also remove the protective data such as retention period etc. If the tape is going offsite, which it should if possible. You could lable the external label with the pertinent information.

Nope, in renaming you'll erase the data. You might wish to create a media pool named (monthly Archive)with an infinite overwrite prevention period. Once your job completes, drag and drop the tape from your default media group to this special group. On the physical external label give it the real tape name and a moniker of say "Monthly Archive-Jun01" and put it in a fire protective cabinet. Media pool can be a good media organization tool. Check out the ADAMM cd with your copy of BE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back