Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you remove security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack2

Instructor
Mar 12, 2003
US
Hello,
I have a database that has security groups and permissions. I would like to use that exact database, without the security. So when the user opens up the db, it does not ask them for a password. Is there an easy way to do this? Or do I have to remove all accouts and groups? The database is pointing to an .mdw file. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

You could try logging in as the admin user (if admin still exists) and changing the password to nothing. The password dialogue box shold not appear when you next start the mdb.

You could also try changing the mdw file to System.mdw using Workgroup Administrator. (wrkgadm.exe).

If you are not the owner or an admins workgroup member the above suggestions most likely will not work.

Access security, once implemented can be dificult to remove. (I guess thats the whole point of security)

HTH
Rich

Bespoke and off-the-shelf Access solutions

Thanks I will give that a try this afternoon. Then let you know how it goes. I am the administrator. So I have all the rights. Thanks again

I suggest that you log into the secured db and then export all of the db objects into a new "unsecured" db.

HTH

I was going to try to export. But when I open access to create a new blank database to import to, it even asked me for a password. So to even create a new database a password has to be entered. Do you know how I can remove this, so I can create a database to import to. I did try the remove password. It does take my password, but that defeats the purpose. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To create an unsecured mdb you need to change the Workgroup to system.mdw, using wrkgadm.mdw (workgroup administrator).

Rich

Bespoke and off-the-shelf Access solutions

You should not join a db to a workgroup using the Workgroup administrator although you need to just to restore your system back to the default System.mdw group. As you have discovered, now you have to log into the workgroup just to open any [new or old] Access databases.

You should always use custom shortcuts to join a secured db to a workgroup when the db is opened.

Here is a sample "Target:" for a custom shortcut...

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" /wrkgrp "C:\Testing\YourWorkgroupFile.mdw" "C:\Testing\YourSecuredDB.mdb" /user TestUser

HTH

Thanks for your help. I will not have a chance to try it until Friday. I will get back with you. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back