Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you Propagate Permissions on Public Folders. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWhiningingPom

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2003
GB
All

I have been having some fun with public folders running Exchange 2000 Sp3.

We have a Public folder set up for our external support team which consists of 3 members. Each member has access to the root public folder Support but any subfolders created revert to creator/owner access only.

I would like to be able to propagate permissions from the root public folder down through all the subfolders.

Anu ideas greatly appreciated.

Regards

The Whinging Pom

You can propagate folder properties, including permissions to all subfolders, using Exchange System Manager. Right click on the parent folder, select All Tasks and then select Propagate Settings. Choose Folder Rights from the Propagate Folder Settings box and you should be in business.

The advantage to setting folder permissions in Exchange Administrator rather than the Exchange client is that you can set your permissions to apply to all subfolders as well. However, there is a drawback to this approach--if a user has added a folder to Favorites, that link to the original folder bypasses all permissions later assigned to that folder. To prevent this potential conflict, enter your Exchange Administrator and execute the following steps:
1. Select the folder you want to modify from the left pane.
2. Click Properties on the toolbar.
3. Select Client Permissions and change the appropriate settings, as you would in your Exchange client.
4. Check Propagate These Properties To All Subfolders.
5. Click OK.
6. Within the Subfolders Properties dialog box, check Client Permissions.

You can append permissions to public folders and all the subfolders like you can with CACLS.EXE for NT permissions. You can set, modify, and extract permissions for your Exchange Organization's Public Folder Hierarchy from the command line. For this job, there's a command-line tool called PFADMIN.EXE, which is included in the Microsoft BackOffice Resource Kit, second edition. If you've used the Windows NT Server 4.0 Resource Kit's CACLS.EXE, you'll find PFADMIN.EXE very familiar. To use PFADMIN.EXE, install Outlook on your workstation or server and create a MAPI profile that logs on to a mailbox that uses the Exchange service account as its primary Windows NT account. PFADMIN.EXE can also extract public folder permissions to a file and later use the file to reapply the extracted permissions. This can be a lifesaver if permissions have been manually misapplied and propagated through subfolders. For more information on PFADMIN.EXE, see the documentation that comes with the BORK or read Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q199319 to learn how to use the tool to extract public folder permissions.

Thank you both for your answers. Lube's fixed the innitial problem which in my trials through exchange admin i missed.

compgirlfhredi i will check out your solutions as soon as i can.

regards

the whinging pom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back