Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you password protect web pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxwink

Programmer
Feb 7, 2000
US
I am responsible for content on a web site which is running in Front Page 2000 on an NT 4.0 server. I want to be able to allow certain web pages to be viewed and forms downloaded by only persons whom I designate. I know that you can password protect certain areas of web pages and restrict downloading of forms but I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I have some knowledge of Front Page and NT. Thanks for any help.

You create a new subweb, then apply Microsoft Security Permissions to that. Then put all the pages you want to be password protected in it.

This is important to remember: You cannot create security permissions on your computer! You have to be on the live web site to apply security or the option will be grayed out. On the live web site, go to folder view, and click on the subweb you want to protect. Then go the menu bar--Tools>Security.

Linda Adams
Visit my web site for writing and Microsoft Word tips: Official web site for actor David Hedison:

Hi guys,

I've tried to set security on my web but it is always in gray...I've tried it directly on my web server but it is still gray...what difference is supposed to make the security menu not still gray on the web server?

Thanks a lot,
Sherlock s-)

Hi. I've done exactly as garridon says and keep getting "server error: error deleting one of more users. xxx does not exist on this server".

further hints?? running on an isp that has apache something server.

ront

Hi. This is long, but it works!. after much research and trolling the web and giving some credit to apollo hosting who got me going in the right direction, here's what DOES work:

go to the root web in FP (e.g. http:/
do file-new-folder to create a folder and name it (mine is staff only)

right click it and click on "convert to web", making the folder a full fledged sub web.

double click on the sub web to enter it, then click tools-security-permissions

click "use unique permissions for this web" and click apply

click on "users", check the button with "everyone has browse access", and click on add

add a user, give them a name and password, and CHECK "administer, author and browse this web", click OK and then click apply.

you should see the new name come up on the user list with full access.

you can now add ALL of your users, just typing them in and giving them admin, author, and browse priviliges and just hit the "apply" at the end of the list.

they will now ALL appear in the user list.

now, highlight each one individually, click edit, and change their access to "browse only".

then, still in the users screen, change the bottom choice to "only registered users have access", apply, and OK and you're done.

now fire up the browser and go to the new web ( and you'll get a password challenge to get in. type in correct password and you get......a page that says you dont have access! this is because you've created a new WEB but have forgotten to put an index page in it. so make a new page called index.htm and stick it in there and you're off.

there HAS to be an easier way, since this seems to be a bit of a kludge, but this DOES work. In my case, if I didn't give everyone admin, author and browse privileges initially, fp wouldn't let me get their names in as users (this is ONE of the parts that no one seemed to know).

this is hopefully easier with fp 2002!

ront

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back