Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you PASSWORD PROTECT a C:\ drive??? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooby4Doo

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2002
US
Can someone tell me how to set a password on a c:\ drive, if it's possible? Network is Windows NT, containing the following operating systems on various desktops:
Windows 98
Windows ME
Windows XP.
I've discovered that someone is coming in after hours, bypassing the login screens and deleting and adding info to user's c:\ drives and I want to be able to lock them down, if that is possible....??? Any suggestions?????
Thanks!
Scooby
EAT CAKE Mr. Gates! [peace]

In Windows 98 and ME, your best bet is to set a BIOS/CMOS password. However, understand that there are generic passwords that can bypass certain BIOS's, and if the violator has physical access to the pc, he/she could reset the BIOS by taking the pc apart.

The best way , as you can in WinXP, is to use NTFS as the file system which has security built-in. Since that won't be an option for some of your workstations, there are free utilities that can help. Just go to and search for "password protect".

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Is the network built on a server...or is it just a simple sharing arrangment?
You can use the system policy editor to require validation by the server.
Go to "File | Open Registry | Local Computer | Network |
Logon" and enable "Must be validated by network for Windows accesses".

This web site describes how to use a registry key to require
validation:

I have the same problem with my organization. There is a way but you could protect those other desktop with win98, me, and xp. Well xp's already cames with security, but here how to do it. By default Windows 9x doesn't require a valid network username and password combination for a user to bypass the logon and gain access to the local machine. This functionality can be changed to require validation by the network before allowing access. You can try this, works for me. Go into your Regigstry and open this key:

HKey_Local_Machine\Network\Logon

Make a DWORD Value called "MustBeValidated" and set the value to 1.

But before you do this, first you must setup a user in Windows 9x. After that then you can add the registry key. Here is a link if you need more help:

-yuxej

Ron Badour or one of the MSMVP's put out such a thing a couple of years ago...and it probably just added that key but it ALSO precluded using a boot floppy...I've looked and haven't been able to find it...and no longer work where I used it...but I'm still looking.
Seems like you use System Policy Editor
But yuxej's tip oughta' slow them down.
Here's a link to setting up System Policy Editor from MS:
and there's a subsequent link at the bottom of the page on implementing it on a 98 box.

You are absolutely correct gargouille.
This is just one way to keep them from getting into the system. Someone with a lot of PC knownledge could always go into a safe and de-activate the key. For more security, you could remove the run on the start button and disabling the regedit so they can get in and change it. A note: you must download the "unlock key" and put it on a disk, if you ever need to acess your regedit in the future. This type of securtiy doesn't require any software installation. Your system will still be ok and it doesn't affect or cause harm to the PC.
In the end gargouille links should be effective against any intruder.
Hope this is helpful.

There is a program called Folder Guard. It has the capability to set the hard drive(s) information to a read-only status. I haven't played around with it too much, but it's seems like it might be of some help. Here's the link:

Enkrypted
A+
Let others know how much help they are by marking the helpful posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back