Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW DO YOU NETWORK A MAC AND AN IBM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPYDERIX

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
CA
Hi,

I am an IBM user with a small business and wish to file share between my 2 IBM'S and my G4 Mac.

I have a network Hub, which is connected to my DSL Modem, and the two IBM's are currently set for file sharing, but how do I set up my mac to file share.

All I know is that it has something to do with AppleTalk.

Can anyone help.

Thank-you

Nate There is a solution to everything!
If something can't be done, then
it just means the solution has yet
to be discovered!

Mac OS 9 and earlier: The simplest solution is going to be DAVE, that will let the mac pretend to be a PC

MacOS X: Samba will let the mac pretend to be a PC I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Sorry,

I don't understand you!

"DAVE" ?????????????????????????????????

There is a solution to everything!
to be discovered!

DAVE's a commercial software package to let your Mac(s) talk to your 'Wintel' machines.

It probably is your simplest choice, but if you're already running Mac OS X, Samba (used for Unix<->Wintel file/printer sharing) would be a cheaper choice.

Tell Al to get Dave, but run it by Scott first ;-)

If all you're doing is sharing files and you don't need to share printers, get Thursby Software MacSOHO. It's cheaper that Dave and easy to use.

If you have 2000 on the PC you just add Appletalk support to the PC and share the Mac - you can then browse Net Nei from the PC and you'll see the Mac or use Chooser to see the PC.

Zelandakh,

How do you add appletalk support to the PC?
I have been told that all you need is a network hub, and need to have Appletalk enabled, but that's all I know, could you explain how to set this up for me.

Thank-you

Nate There is a solution to everything!
to be discovered!

Nate,

Are you running 2000 on the PC? If not, you can't do it as easily!!!

In Net Nei props, add the appletalk protocol. Get a network hub / switch. 3Com are great. Little 8 port 10MB shouldn't cost more than 40 or 50 bucks. Straight cables into the hub. Share a folder on the PC as SHARE, name it PC. Share the hard disk under control panels sharing. Name the Mac as Mac.

Should work fine.

or get a crossed cable between the two machines if you never want to add another machine. Other option is to buy a common external drive for them like a zip drive. Then transfer data using disk...

I am using Windows ME,

And right now I have a network hub and it is all set up.
-2 IBMS that go to the hub then connected to DSL modem
-1 G4 Mac w/ Mac OS 9 connected to hub then connected to the same DSL modem.

All of the computers as of now can use the internet through the hub and the modem. Also, the 2 IBM's are talking to each other, file sharing is already turned on.

My questions are as follows:
- how do I setup the IBM to view the Mac (so that I see an icon in my Network Neighbourhood folder)
&
- how do I set up the Mac to view the IBM through the Chooser (or whatever)

I shouldn't have to get any additional software because the IT technician at a ski resort that I used to work at has done this, and he said its just a matter of enabling Appletalk on both computers (I don;t know how to do this, and he couldn't help me with it becuase he was too busy)

So can you advise me on how to set this up.
You said if I wasn't running 2000 then it would be harder.

Thanks

Nate

There is a solution to everything!
to be discovered!

Harder = possibly impossible.

If it can be done you'd do it through Net Nei properties and add Appletalk to your protocol list. Don't use ME myself so I don't know if it supports it. Probably not.

If you could do it for free, both Maclan Connect and Dave would be obsolete...

Check on a USB Host to Host Communications cable.
Manufacture: USB Link Cable - Custom Sensors, Inc
Model: Direct-Linq BF100C
Price: $19.00 to $32.00
Mac to Mac, Mac to PC, PC to Mac, PC to PC
Windows 98,ME,XP,2000; Mac: 8.6 9.0
Drag and Drop file transfer, after installing software (CD) on each machine. NO remote printing. You can print remote files on local machines printer.

I do not use a network, so I am not sure if this will interfere.

THURSBY SOFTWARE MAC SOHO!!!! Go to their web site, download a trial for FREE. See how easy it is to use, then BUY IT and get to work. No, I don't work for Thursby or own their stock, I'm just a satisfied customer who recognizes a good thing when I see it.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back