Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you make a progress bar work? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshT172

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
US
I'm trying to make a progress bar in a flash movie. I found a tutorial on a website :

(
I followed everything step-by-step and the flash movie still won't display until EVERYTHING is downloaded. (I thought that flash movies could still be displayed WHILE they are being downloaded). Is there some kind of setting for it to play while being downloaded? (NOTE: I do not have the setting 'paused at start' set).

Flash Version: MX (Version 6).

Although I do prefer mine (I wouldn't really use those colors though!), your's seems to work fine! Bravo! Regards,

new.gif

Thanks. This may seem strange, but I couldn't get it to work using Netscape Navigator 6.2. (It uses Flash 5, unlike IE6, which uses Flash 6). All it shows is a black screen with nothing on it. I right-click the movie and it has two options: Movie still loading, and About Macromedia Flash 5), under IE6, I get About Macromedia Flash 6 instead of 5. Does Flash 5 work with the preloader? I checked the Internet activity and the document simply won't even load under Navigator 6.2. As for myself, I wouldn't really care if it works on Navigator or not, but for the company, they might see it as a barrier to some of their customers.

oldnewbie,

That's exactly what I want. But without the % and the file dize. I just want the bar and I want to be able to change the colors too.

Thanks! NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

JOSHT172: Unfortunately, the only one I found had it's comments in German!. Which one did you download? The one I downloaded was all in English along with the tutorial. Did you get this one: ?

SPYDERIX: I think that Wangbars suggestion for saving space and using the xscale command is really good. I'll probably start using that to save space.
However, one of the advantages of using a 100 frame MC is that you're not just limited to a bar with static colours (I'm sure you could change the colours through scripting though). For example, you could use a picture and a mask, and have the preloader show more of the picture as more of the movie is loaded e.g. a symbol or logo etc. Download the preloader on the above link and edit the bar in that. Thats where I learnt how to do that sort of thing (in fact, thats where I learnt how to do preloaders).

Hope this is of some help.

Regards

With my preloaders, I make a movie with at least 2 scenes...scene 1 has the preloader and scene 2 onwards has the movie. Then I just tell the preloader to go to scene 2 frame 1 if the rest of the movie is loaded.

So how is better to do it?

I think that it all depends on what you want to do. If you only want a bar then go for the xscale command...that'll save you space and work.
If on the other hand you want to use something different, like I suggested above, a logo or something, then go for the 100 frame MC.

Regards

hhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeelp meeeeeeeeeeee please.!!!!
I have a movie (a web page)that have only one frame in its main timeline, I´ve tried to put a preloader on it, making a new scene with the same old ifframeloaded scene1,1. but when I run it it show me the first frame "blinking" forever and ever. How do I make a preloader on the same scene of the main movie.??????

You also have to set a stop(); action on your 1 frame main scene, otherwise it will continually loop back to the preloader! Regards,

new.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back