Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you make a crossover cable from an RJ-45 from scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewy

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
US
How do you make a crossover cable from an RJ-45 from scratch? thanks for the help.

Dewy,

connector #1
1 WHT/ORG
2 ORG/WHT
3 WHT/GRN
4 BLU/WHT
5 WHT/BLU
6 GRN/WHT
7 WHT/BRN
8 BRN/WHT

connector #2

1 WHT/GRN
2 GRN/WHT
3 WHT/ORG
4 BLU/WHT
5 WHT/BLU
6 ORG/WHT
7 BRN/WHT
8 WHT/BRN

Hope this helps
Tim

I know from experience: You don't. You go to your local computer store and buy one. Those wires are just too small and it is too frustrating to do it with fat fingers. In the end, you end up having to re-do it 5 or 6 times until you get it right. Be prepared to use a lot of 4 letter words if you elect to do it yourself.

mike

Tim,

On connector #2, it appears you have your browns reversed. SHouldn't 7 be WHT/BRN and 8 be BRN/WHT?

Mike

I agree with Mike , the pair 7 is reversed

Midnight's pinout is correct for RJ-45 ethernet crossover cable.

Midnite, all the pairs matter if you are running Gigabit
Ethernet.

See what I mean. You could have purchased the right cable with the correct wiring; had your system up and running by now and you'd be at the pub right now, drinking beer.

Good luck,

mike

Swap pins 1&2 for 3&6 you should be good to go. All your trying to accomplish is swapping transmit and recieve pairs don't worry about the rest. If your using 568B 1&2 will be white orange/ orange white and 3&6 will be green white/ white green. As long as your exactly opposite at both ends of the cable you should be o.k.
Also keep in mind that that is for ethernet. Voice cabling like for a loopback plug would be different altogether.

Jaye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back