Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you load an image using "XMODEM"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2000
US
I have a bad image on a 2621 router. I did backup the old configuration but I'm not sure about using the XMODEM command. On the router I type in "xmodem -c c2600-js-mz.120-2.XC2". The router appears to go through the rest of the steps and then when it asks if I want to continue I type in "yes" and it says it's ready to receive the files. Then a bunch of "C's" show up and eventually the router times out and aborts the download. Is there something I'm supposed to do on the workstation in order for xmodem to work properly?

This is for an 800 but it should be pretty close for any X-modem upload

Mike S

Step 1 Increase the router console port baud rate:

router# set baud = 115200

Step 2 Reset the console port:
router# reset

Step 3 Optional. If you want the router console port to continue to run at 115,200 baud after you reboot, you can save the configuration:
router# save

Step 4 Change your host baud rate to 115,200.
For the new baud rate to take effect, you might need to save the new baud rate, exit from the terminal emulator, and establish a new session.
Step 5 Download the software image from the host:
router# upload xmodem

The following is an example of output displayed while the software is downloading:
Ready for X/Modem upload ...

[note: no status bar for xmodem transfers,
abort with Control-X or break]

upload: succeeded (312 seconds).

Step 6 From your host, enter the Xmodem send command for your terminal emulation software.
For example, if you are using HyperTerm, select Transfer > Send File. The Send File dialog box appears. Click Browse to locate the software image. Select XMODEM as the protocol, and click Send.
Step 7 Delete the old software image:
router# delete filename

You must have enough free Flash memory to store the new image. You may need to delete more than one old software image to free up enough Flash memory. To see the names of existing files in Flash memory, use the list command.
Step 8 Save the new software image to Flash memory:
router# save file = filename

where filename is the name of the new software image that was transferred to the router.
Step 9 Boot the new software image:
router# boot

Step 10 Optional. If you do not want the router console port to continue to run at 115,200 baud after you reboot, change your terminal emulation software to run at 9600 baud.

"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Thanks for the help! That's exactly what I needed. :)

Now I have one other questions. When you choose to download an image from Cisco's web site because you want to upgrade to a newer image how do you know which image is for which router. I think that's what caused my problem originally. I think I downloaded an image for a 2610 with one serial and one ethernet interface to a 2621 router which has two fast ethernet interfaces to a via tftp. Then when I rebooted I ended up with all kinds of invalid errors so I ended up in rommon mode.

We are trying to use WCCP with a squid box and I want to upgrade the image on a 2621 to 12.0(5)from 12.0(2).

Cisco has a web page that will step you through the hardware, then the IOS level you want and then the feature set needed. It then dumps you at the correct URL to get the file. It's called "THe IOS Upgrade Planner"

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

I went to that page yesterday and it had all the information that I needed. Thanks for all your help!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back