Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you link from HTML page to a particular frame in a flash movie? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadProfessor

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
GB
Is it possible to link to a particular frame in a flash movie from a hyperlink on an html page? For example, I have a movie that has 500 frames long, and normally plays from frame 1 to 500, then stops. But, say I want to have another link that starts playing at frame 100 in the movie - how do I do this? Is it a case of adding some sort of frame reference to the html hyperlink that opens the flash movie, so that it jumps immediately to this frame and starts playing?

Did you find a way to do it MadProfessor ?
... I would like to do the same thing but I'm a bit lost,

thanks,

;-)

I had a quick look but am actually on holiday at present so haven't investigated fully (I posted the message just before going away). I'm back at work on the 9th July and it's a priority to get done then so I will let you know.

OK, thanks MadProfessor ...
I will try on my own if I have time ... but I'm waiting for your help if you find a way ...

I tried this out, it works,
the moock.org page madprofessor mentioned is well detailed.
remember to set liveconnect on in your embed using swLiveConnect="true"
otherwise it won't work in netscape.
regards,

Chris Sorel
chris@exnihilo.com
Remember, If you continue to do what you have always done,

you will continue to get what you have always gotten.

Pass the start frame number as a parameter in the Flash movie url on your HTM page: ie

Code:
<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE=&quot;my500FrameFlashThing.swf?startFrame=100&quot;>
..etc....
Code:
<EMBED src=&quot;my500FrameFlashThing.swf?startFrame=100&quot; quality=high
..etc.....
Code:
></EMBED>

the value for startFrame could have been hard coded in the HTML, or dynamically created by javaScript or a server side process (php, cgi...whatever) when writing the page that contains the flash movie.

In _root, set a
Code:
gotoAndPlay(startFrame);
on the first frame of your movie. You might want to check that 1 has not been passed in as startFrame's value - else you will just loop I think - with
Code:
if(startFrame > 1)
  gotoAndPlay(startFrame);
hth
scalp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back