Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you link a file which is on your system to a button? + Preload! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Im making an intro to a CD! So that when you place the cd in a drive it autoruns the flash movie (which is placed in its own player). I know how to do all of the above! The problem im having is: i want it do that when you click a button in the movie it opens a file on the cd. So say a word document ! its not GET URL, coz that only open it in a browser...plz help ! + does any1 know how o make a preloader? (so that when the whole movie has loaded it moves onto the next scene/frame)

Use the FSCommand with the "exec" parameter!
See the Flash help files (F1)!
mywink.gif
ldnewbie
Hope that this
was helpful!

Hey!!! funly enough im having the same problem. Can you gve me an example of how you do it ?? i cant understand clearly wot the help file says, its stupid ! If u can help, plz tell me exactly wot to do!! step for step!! Thanx

Hey again ! The the FSCommand with the "exec" parameter does work but only for programs. Say if i wanted to open notepad.exe it works but i want to open files, e.g 'tester.doc' ... i want a link so that when you click it, it open 'tester.doc' in word or whatever format the file is! does anyone know how to do this ??

HAz

Haz,
Try the following:

Type this in the command box: Exec
Type this in the argument box with the expression box checked: "start" add chr(9) add "filename.extension"

I believe the add is Flash 4 syntax, but it should work in Flash 5.
You could also try to replace add by + in the above.

Apparently the fastest way to do this, although you have to be sure the user has the program you specify in the first parameter, is to use the following:

Type this in the command box: Exec
Type this in the argument box with the expression box checked: "notepad" add chr(9) add "filename.extension"

As in: "notepad" add chr(9) add "mytext.txt" or "wordpad" add chr(9) add "mytext.doc"

Once again the add should work in Flash 5, but replacing it with + should also.

mywink.gif
ldnewbie
Hope that this
was helpful!

Haz,
Just checked this:

on (press) {
fscommand ("exec", "notepad" + chr(9) + "mytext.txt");
}

... And it works fine with the "+" or "add".

Do remember, that this doesn't work while Testing the Movie within the Flash application. You must output a .swf, or an .exe to test it out!
mywink.gif
ldnewbie
Hope that this
was helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back