Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you limit entry to only one of 6 yes/no fields???

Status
Not open for further replies.

etislost

Technical User
Nov 23, 2003
US
I am attempting to create a form based on a survey implement using a Likert scale (rate this thing 1 through 5, 1 is bad, 5 is great). I have it set up so that each number, 1 through 5, is its own field using a yes/no checkbox. Currently, if you enter a new record using the form, it is possible to click all 5 checkboxes, thereby making the data wrong. Is there a way to limit/constrain it so that you can only click one of the five checkboxes at a time? If not, can you suggest a good way to set this up?

Thanks

If you set up the checkboxs as an option group then the selection of one would automatically exclude the others for you.

Thank you for the suggestion. I looked into it in the help menu of Access. It looks like using option groups will place all the entered values, (1 through 5), into a single field. Is this the case? If so, is there a way to separate the entered values into 5 fields?

etislost:

If you are storing survey results, I think you only want to have one field to store the response to each question. Having a separate field for each possible answer will not only result in a much larger table than you need but will also make analysis of the results much more difficult. For example, given your layout, how would you derive an average?

I have done several databases for survey results using Likert scales and have good results using an option group and binding the selected value to the storage field.

Hope this helps.

Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

I hadn't thought of that. Thank you both for the help and insight. Looks like I'm ready to romp again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back