Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you like iMAIL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipToast

Technical User
Apr 12, 2004
US
Would you recommend the product over other alternatives? Even if money were not an issue?

Thanks,
MC

I have been using Imail for over 4 years and have been very pleased with the product. We have about 50 users and 15 domains configured. The latest release has a vastly improved Web interface.

It is worth the money (don't forget the service agreement for regular updates).

Amen!

We are a SMB Web Hosting Company and have been using it for several years - offering Anti-Spam & Anti-Virus solutions just like the big boys ..

so its a great product..

Systems Administrator
phillip_myint@yahoo.com

Where are you guys finding support? Is there another Imail support forum that receives more answers than Tek-tips? I see a bunch of questions, but few answers here.

I supported Imail for years as a dedicated hosting product for our customers. I used to like it but then switched to merak mail server. Had merak for the past three years as the champion horse I recommended.

I just took a look at the latest Imail because I wanted to see what was up and how it looked. I can't believe how wrong this product seems to be. Is it me? Three different interfaces for the IM, Mail, and groupware servers? And I cannot get the groupware server to integrate right with the mail server and forget getting the IM working. That was a wash for me. As far as mail servers Imail seemed good, but have any of you worked with the latest products from them?

Not to sell another product, but the merak server is all in one interface, instant integration, turn services off and on per user, per domain, or set it global. I just don't see the benefit of telling my customers to go look at Imail again. Has anyone else worked with the IM and groupware?

I've used IMail for about six years or so, and I have had very very few problems.

I just upgraded from V7 to V8.15 with anti-spam. The upgrade went smoothly.

Out of the box the anti-spam feature has almost completely stopped junk mail from hitting my inbox.

I have hundreds of users and dozens of domains. IMail may not have every feature on the market, but it does everything I need it to.

I've never needed to use IpSwitch's tech support. Either the online help, the documentation, Tek-Tips or IpSwitch's user forums have answered any questions and solved all the problems I've ever run into installing or maintaining IMail Server.

For the money I don't think you can do better than IMail.

JRL

IMail is a good product, but as with anything else, whether it's the right product for you depends on what you plan to do with it, etc, etc. For example, if you are looking to set up a new mail server, you can't purchase iMail. You have to purchase the Ipswitch Collaboration Suite (ICS), which includes iMail, Groupware, Instant Messaging, and it's own integrated Anti-virus. The anti-spam tools included in ICS are better than previous versions, but not as good as the declude add-on (
If you are looking for a simple windows hosted mail server, there are other, equally good mail server programs:

SmarterMail ( Many iMail users defected to Smartermail when ipSwitch declared "no more stand-alone iMail". Most seem to be pretty happy, and delcude also integrates with SM, so you can have very good anti-virus and anti-spam.

Merak Mail ( Some former imailers went with this as well; I suspect it scales better than iMail or smarter mail for thousands of mailboxes, especially if you use IMAP or Webmail, but I have no hard data to prove it

Kerio Mail ( This is the one we switched to from iMail. I liked the broad choices for anti-virus integration, the anti-spam tools work pretty well. For us, the tipping points were IMAP performance & the web mail client. We use IMAP exclusively in our environment, and Kerio's was hands down the fastest on the same hardware. Also, the web client is very outlook-like, and easy to use.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back